• Welcome to the Off-Topic/Schweb's Lounge

In addition to the Mac-Forums Community Guidelines, there are a few things you should pay attention to while in The Lounge.

Lounge Rules
    • If your post belongs in a different forum, please post it there.
    • While this area is for off-topic conversations, that doesn't mean that every conversation will be permitted. The moderators will, at their sole discretion, close or delete any threads which do not serve a beneficial purpose to the community.

Understand that while The Lounge is here as a place to relax and discuss random topics, that doesn't mean we will allow any topic. Topics which are inflammatory, hurtful, or otherwise clash with our Mac-Forums Community Guidelines will be removed.

I think one of my neghbors is on my wireless network

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I think one of my neighbors is on my wireless network

I think one of my neighbors is on my wireless network. Unfortunately enabling WEP is not an option (some thing to do with my work). Is there a way to see the IP addresses of everyone on my network? That way I can see if there is anyone I don't want on it.

--Thanks
-Ben

Reaction score
If you have a linksys router you can login to it, then go to the DHCP table.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D
you should be able to go into your router settings and see. find out what your ip address is (192.168.X.X). you should be able to turn on MAC filtering to reject any other MAC address that is not yours.

OP
Benjamindaines
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
fearlessfreap24 said:
you should be able to go into your router settings and see. find out what your ip address is (192.168.X.X). you should be able to turn on MAC filtering to reject any other MAC address that is not yours.
I know that IP addresses change if the power is lost to the router but MAC addresses can never be changed is that correct?

Reaction score
Benjamindaines said:
I know that IP addresses change if the power is lost to the router but MAC addresses can never be changed is that correct?

a MAC address never changes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
that is correct. MAC addresses are assigned by the manufacturer of the network interface.

OP
Benjamindaines
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I'm logged into the router but how do I get to the DHCP table?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
click through the tabs

OP
Benjamindaines
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
fearlessfreap24 said:
in About this Mac it says the MAC address under ethernet, does Airport have the same MAC address?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro M1 • iPhone 14 Pro • iPad Pro • iMac Retina 27"
Your mac's ethernet and Airport adapters have two different addresses. When you look at the System Profiler and click on the "Network" line, you'll see all your network interfaces at the top. The one that says "AirPort" is the one you're interested in. The other ones (built-in Ethernet, Firewire) do not apply to the MAC you're going to put into your router.

And why would you want a PM about James Paul McCartney and Richard Starkey? :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
if you are using a linksys, under teh wireless tab there should be a link to MAC address filtering. set it up to where it will only accept MAC addresses in the list.

OP
Benjamindaines
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
I got MAC address filtering set up and everything works. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.25 15inch powerbook
Im trying to find my DHCP table on my linksys rounter and I can't find it. Can someone tell me exactly where it is? Im logged in and I'm looking around but can't seem to find it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i have never been able to find it. i dont think there is one.

OP
Benjamindaines
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
section8joe said:
Im trying to find my DHCP table on my linksys rounter and I can't find it. Can someone tell me exactly where it is? Im logged in and I'm looking around but can't seem to find it.
go to the status tab and click on local network you'll see the button.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
mynameis said:
a MAC address never changes.
That's not exactly true. While you cannot physically change the MAC address of the hardware you can clone a MAC address which makes it look like it has another MAC address.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Benjamindaines said:
go to the status tab and click on local network you'll see the button.

and there it is. amazing that i have never seen that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.58GHz OC'ed Mac mini
You can change MAC addresses. A couple of seconds with Airsnort and I can see your mac address and spoof it and then attach to you wireless network causing denial of service or giving me access when your system is off. You really should go 802.1x.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2GHz Mac Mini 2GB RAM 160GB 10.6.2 | MDD DP 1.25GHz G4 1.5GB RAM 10.4.11 | 233MHz iMac G3 10.3.9
DanielNTX said:
You can change MAC addresses. A couple of seconds with Airsnort and I can see your mac address and spoof it and then attach to you wireless network causing denial of service or giving me access when your system is off. You really should go 802.1x.

Ah, another Austinite!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.