• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple's thinner 13- & 15-inch MacBook Pros expected in April at the soonest

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 13, 2.4, 8GB, 120GB SSD OCZ
Apple went 'retina' display on the new MBP 15". So it's do-abe and look fantastic. Too pricey for me though . =(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model
waiting until next year where hopefully its a little cheaper

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro.
Luckily I purchased my first MBP last Jan. Of course it has the optical drive. While I don't use my CD/DVD drive much, I WANT that drive. As far as I'm concerned it still has a use. No argument about that. Like others have said, what's the purpose of eliminating the optical drive if you have to lug around an external one?

Apple hit the nail on the head when it eliminated the floppy years ago. Remember the furor it caused? But it missed the mark doing away with the optical drive on the new MBP. And why? To get it thinner? It's thin enough as it is.

At the moment I won't be upgrading my machine, hopefully, for several years. I wonder what I'll do when the time come? I know, buy an external drive and lug it around.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Intel core i5, 120gb SSD, 2.3GHZ, 4gb RAM, Macbook Pro 13 inch 2011 model
i think the optical drive isn't going to be a part of computers in the future. everything is pretty much digital now. for instance lion is digital and mountain lion will be a the same. with things like steam games don't use discs neither does most of the applications you would buy. Most is available in a digital download.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook 2.2GHz C2D, 4GB Ram - iMac G4 700MHz, 512MB Ram
Luckily I purchased my first MBP last Jan. Of course it has the optical drive. While I don't use my CD/DVD drive much, I WANT that drive. As far as I'm concerned it still has a use. No argument about that. Like others have said, what's the purpose of eliminating the optical drive if you have to lug around an external one?

Apple hit the nail on the head when it eliminated the floppy years ago. Remember the furor it caused? But it missed the mark doing away with the optical drive on the new MBP. And why? To get it thinner? It's thin enough as it is.

At the moment I won't be upgrading my machine, hopefully, for several years. I wonder what I'll do when the time come? I know, buy an external drive and lug it around.

Agreed 100% with everything stated.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.