Safari keeps "Not Responding"...Snow Leopard

Reaction score
I posted this on the Apple forums also, but I tend to get faster answers here. So I'm just going to copy and paste.

I have the latest version of Snow Leopard and Safari and for some reason I have to force quit at least once a day. I do have quite a few tabs open, 15 or so, and I also disabled mult-process windows. The reason I disabled it is because Safari kept refreshing my tabs when I did not want them to. This all started with the latest update. Most of the time it happens when I wake the computer up from sleeping...but also happens other times. I'll just keep clicking and all I will get is the revolving umbrella till I have to force quit.

Does anyone experience the same problem and is there a fix to this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Try using chrome of Firefox. Or you can try and reinstall safari.

Reaction score
I have experienced that same frustrating apparent hangup when browsing for the past 2 weeks. Usually Chrome and Firefox are able to access the page but its a pain in the proverbial. When the spinning ball appears I've noticed there is no network activity so suspect there is something in Safari.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Likely your memory is full. Will suggest grabbing "Free Memory" - link.

This app works as advertised. Only available in the App Store.
Only the free version for 10.6.
Go ahead and grab the Pro version for a whopping $0.99 for those of you with 10.7 & 10.8.
Worth every penny.

Reaction score
I too thought of that, so I checked and I have ample free amounts of memory, disk space, cpu etc.. Did a virus check as well. I'm clutching at straws, I know but the browser search with Safari is soooo slow and keeps freezing. I have 10.6.8 OS and Safari 5.7.1 so the adobe problems about v6 don't apply. My internet speed is never great - I'm limited to 1500/256ADSL connection - and when this freeze happens the connection was around the 135kb/s. I'll keep searching.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Have you tried a Reset of Safari?

Even if you're going to use Safari as your primary browser, I recommend keeping at least 3 of them around.
Personally , I go for FF and Opera.

Reaction score
Yes, reset but no improvement. However I did a virus scan check which found a few trojans and malaware in some junk emails which seems to have helped. Not quite sure why though since they were designed for the Windows PC - can't see what effect they'd have on a Mac.

C

chas_m

They don't have any effect on the Mac. It's entirely coincidental that these "seem to have helped," and much MORE likely that it is in fact your "virus" (no such thing on Macs) software that is the real culprit.

What are you using? Never mind, it doesn't matter. Uninstall it using the manufacturer's recommended method. Then run OnyX on the Automate setting, restart your machine and I'll bet you see a BIG improvement!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.