Please help with Error message

Reaction score
I installed a new hard drive on a 24 inch iMac. the computer is from late 2006 but has the core 2 duo. I installed a retail copy of snow leopard that i had bought for my macbook. I bought a new wireless keyboard. Everything was working but the function keys on the top were not working correctly. So I went into apple they told me that they updated the keys and I had to make sure the software was updated to 10.6.8 SO I went home and sure enough I needed an update. It restarted. The keyboard now worked. Then after 5 minutes I my screen freezes, it turns a blackish, and in the middle I get an error message that says...

You need to restart your computer. Hold down the Power button until it turns off, then press the power button again.
Then it list the same thing in 4 different languages.

I can't seem to erase the drive or fix anything when I start to look around the computer it does this so it doesn't give me enough time. Is there any help??? Thank you

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try installing the combo update for Snow Leopard 10.6.8 rather than update from the version on the disk. LINK What you're experiencing are kernel panics. (system crashes)

OP
R
Reaction score
I appreciate the link and the answer. It was downloading but after 3 min the message came on and froze. I don't know how to download and fix this problem if after a few minutes the computer freezes. ANy other ideas? thank you again !

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.