HD Grade Monitor

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook 2.0ghz, Ibook G4 1.33ghz, Powerbook Lombard 333mhz
It says it's DVI and the Ibooks I think have VGA so would I be able to buy something to correct this or can I only use VGA monitors?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
It says it works with VGA/SVGA/XGA

L

lil

My only concern with that is that it is referring to the resolution:

VGA: 640x480
SVGA: 800x600
XGA: 1024x768

Which in that case means the resolution - not the connection type.

Also the iBook would need the screen spanning 'hack' (Google) installed to run it at 1280x768, as by default the iBook can only mirror 1024x768.

Also note the iBook cannot have its lid shut when this display is hooked up.

Edit:

Noticed it says:

'D-Sub'

Which to me means analogue VGA connection, and thus can work with your iBook. Technically speaking VGA should only be used to refer to a resolution, not a connection type (though VGA is synonymous with analogue connection these days....)

Vicky

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I thought about that. Would the screen spanning hack change the resolution to fit the monitor? I thought the screen spanning hack was the to just allow you to use two monitors?

L

lil

See above, just edited my post. generally it depends on the monitor, some will stretch it, some will leave a black border, some you can select whether to stretch or maintain the aspect ratio.

1024x768 is 4:3 you see so is not widescreen aspect.

You will need the screen spanning hack for any chance of making the best use of that monitor, it's not just to allow 2 monitor (iBook LCD + external monitor) but also to use higher resolutions beyond 1024x768 on that external monitor.

Do be aware that stretching the 1024x768 res to widescreen will look very odd, that's why you need the hack.

Vicky

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So if I use the screen spanning hack this monitor should work fine with my ibook and vga video connector cable. That's good. I have heard of the hack and I have also heard that it can be dangerous to your computer. How likely is that?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
oldnews said:
So if I use the screen spanning hack this monitor should work fine with my ibook and vga video connector cable. That's good. I have heard of the hack and I have also heard that it can be dangerous to your computer. How likely is that?
The only way it can be dangerous to your computer is if you run in "clamshell mode" (with the screen closed like a PowerBook) it will cook your screen and damage it. But if you just run it in extended mode with the screen open it will be fine. Also if you set it up closed and then open the screen it will be fine.

OP
oldnews
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks, an other question on the hack, is it able to take on any resolution? Or can it only change the iBooks resolution to a few other resolutions?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.