Water and Iphone 4s

Reaction score
This morning, to my horror, when I went to shut off the alarm on my iphone, in my grogginess I dropped it right into a glass of drinking water I keep by my bed. I snatched it out immediately, literally olympic speed (maybe 3 seconds tops), and patted it dry.

There is no obvious water damage on the phone, except for the fact that the submersion indicator in the earphone jack is pink and my touchscreen is totally unresponsive. Nothing else seems amiss. The phone never turned off, the buttons never stopped working. Just the touchscreen.

I stayed up all night researching how to fix my phone. I have a packet of silica gel on the way, and the poor drowned thing is currently sitting in a baggie of uncooked rice.

My question is this: how serious is an unresponsive touchscreen? Is this something that the baggie of rice/silica gel trick might be able to fix? Or is the damage fatal enough that I should just head over to the apple store and get a replacement?

Thanks guys :)!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Let the phone dry for a few days off. Then try the touch screen. I have fixed several iPhones. Try drying it and then you will have to get a new front panel.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.