Snow Leopard Install Issue

Reaction score
I have a macbook pro with OSX 10.5.8 on it. I recently ordered Snow Leopard 10.6.3.

I tried to install it this morning. I inserted the disk and started the install process. About 15 minutes into the copying of files, the screen kind of flashes blank and then shows the Apple logo with the loading animation. After a minute, it loads back into 10.5.8

I'm not sure why it's not installing Snow Leopard. Anyone have any suggestions to this it would be appreciated. Thanks!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If the Snow Leopard DVD is the retail version it should install over Leopard. I suspect the optical drive on your MBP may be at fault. The drive laser lens may be dirty. Buy a can of compressed air and blow a couple of short blasts into the drive and try again.

OP
K
Reaction score
I just tried cleaning it out and attempted another install. Still the same issue. I checked to ensure there are no scratches/fingerprints on the install disc. I've also checked with other data DVD's/Musical CD's and those have no problem running at all.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Keep in mind that OS X installation DVDs are dual layer and require a greater level of laser power to be properly read. Single layer disks (data and music) might work OK.

OP
K
Reaction score
I'm still having the same issue with this. I really need to get the OS upgraded. Does anyone have any suggestions?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
I'm still having the same issue with this. I really need to get the OS upgraded. Does anyone have any suggestions?

1) I agree with Chscag, it is probably your optical drive. You could borrow or purchase an external drive.

2) Less likely, but still possible, you may have a bad OS disk, assuming you bought it new from Apple, may be worth seeing if they will replace.

3) You could purchase Lion on USB direct from Apple, assuming you meet the minimum hardware requirements ($69 USD) and skip Snow Leopard. (I think the EULA allows that, but will check and post back if I find out different)

EDIT: From what I can see it looks as if going direct from Leopard to Lion is a EULA violation, so scratch reccomendation No 3. off the list. Of course, now that I think about it, you have already purchased Snow Leopard for your MBP, so you probably are meeting the EULA.
You can tell that I am NOT a lawyer . . . ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.