2 MBP to one Time Capsule

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", MBP 13", MBA 11" iPad 1 64GB & 32GB, iPad 2 32GB, iPhone 5 32Gb & 64, iPhone 4 32Gb
Hi

I have tried to search but have had no luck.

I have my MBP running off a time capsule now for a fair few years and the time capsule is 650Gb full out of 1 TB

We now have another MBP and i would like to back this up to the same time capsule.

Do i just point the backups to the time capsule.

how is space divided between the 2?

Any help appreciated!

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The space is allocated dynamically as required. Just just point Time machine preferences at the Time Capsule and away you go. The only issue you may have is whether 1gb is big enough

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Each MBP will create a sparsebundle file which will be visible in the finder, so your backups are separated.
However, each MBP will eat away the available storage of the other MBP as both are competing for disk space. This doesn't have to be an issue; but something to watch out for.

I ran this setup for 3 years until I decided to actually create 2 partitions on the time capsule so they have their own volume name.

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
I am in the same boat as McBie. I used to point to 1 TC partition for 2 Macs. It filled up pretty quickly. My TC power supply died on me - so I pulled out the drive and bought a 2nd TC. So I actually have the 1st TC drive connected as a USB to the new TC. One machine points to the 1GB USB drive, the second machine points to the 2GB internal to the new TC. Easier to keep track of things that way.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 15", MBP 13", MBA 11" iPad 1 64GB & 32GB, iPad 2 32GB, iPhone 5 32Gb & 64, iPhone 4 32Gb
Ah thanks for the replies!

I didnt think you could partition TC? I have 320.79GB left on my TC. Shall i still point both at one. And they can both compete to fill it up together?

Once it is filled, the first MBP will start overwriting its backups and the Secound will overwrite its backups?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Yes, Overwriting is not an issue as Time Machine will know in which sparsebundle file it can write.
A potential issue is when each incremental backup of one MBP is a lot bigger than the other, then there will be fierce competition for the free diskspace on the Time Capsule. -_-

Example .... if one MBP is running virtual machines and you did not exclude these from your Time Machine backup, then the incremental backups will be huge .

Have a go at it and monitor the free space.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeh, will do!

Cheers!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.