VMWARE vs Parrallels

Reaction score
Which is the best? All I really want it for is running MS Office. Also would I be better off with XP or windows 7, if windows 7 would 32 or 64 bit version be better?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Can I suggest, that if it's just for Office tasks you use the free Virtual Box instead of either of those.

The version of windows you use is up to you, but again, just for office tasks I'd just get the cheapest version as any will suffice for that purpose.

As an aside if it's just MS office compatibility you're after consider native Mac versions of Open Office or Libre Office

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Which is the best? All I really want it for is running MS Office. Also would I be better off with XP or windows 7, if windows 7 would 32 or 64 bit version be better?

If you just want to run MS Office...why not get MS Office for the Macintosh??

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
If you just want to run MS Office...why not get MS Office for the Macintosh??

- Nick

I'm doing an accountancy course and need to ensure 100% compatibility and also will be tutored on the Windows version so need everything to be consistent.

OP
N
Reaction score
Can I suggest, that if it's just for Office tasks you use the free Virtual Box instead of either of those.

The version of windows you use is up to you, but again, just for office tasks I'd just get the cheapest version as any will suffice for that purpose.

As an aside if it's just MS office compatibility you're after consider native Mac versions of Open Office or Libre Office

Why virtual box, is it purely due to cost that you suggest it or are there performance advantages?

To be honest (call me a marketers dream) but I like to go for well known brands so if just choosing between VMWARE and parallels which one is best?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
To be honest (call me a marketers dream) but I like to go for well known brands so if just choosing between VMWARE and parallels which one is best?

What about going the "boot camp" route? Then you don't need VMware or Parallels.

Also...did you try doing any internet searches? There's probably about a "zillion" Parallels vs. VMWare Fusion reviews out there.:)

Did you read these stickies?:

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...4239-running-windows-mac-switchers-guide.html
http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/ru...otcamp-save-yourself-possibly-hours-time.html

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OP
N
Reaction score
Added additional info above.:)

- Nick

Yes I read the stickies there didn't appear to be a straight answer as to which is best. I don't like searches I prefer to ask the question on a dedicated forum where answers are more up to date in line with recent versions and hardware as opposed to historic answers.

So which is the better option..,

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes I read the stickies there didn't appear to be a straight answer as to which is best. I don't like searches I prefer to ask the question on a dedicated forum where answers are more up to date in line with recent versions and hardware as opposed to historic answers.

So which is the better option..,

There are actually a lot of great reviews out there...many listing the pluses & minus's of both applications.:) And almost each time a new version comes out...a new review is done. So the comparison is up to date.:)

And although you hate searches (I smell "lazy" here);)...have you even searched Mac-Forums? Since this topic does get discussed quite a bit here.

Or don't you want to search Mac-Forums for information either??;)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Why virtual box, is it purely due to cost that you suggest it or are there performance advantages?

It's made and supported by Oracle.... brands don't get much bigger.

I've used all three products I settled on VirtualBox because it's lithe and efficient, it loads quickly and updates are frequent and easy.

I found Fusion and Parallels a little clunky. The only features they had over VirtualBox that interested me, but in the end weren't something I required, were experimental 3d support and the ability to access the bootcamp partition from within OSX.

Virtual box maybe free but it's an obvious choice for me for many other reasons.

I'd be interested to know if you feel the same about jumping on the marketing bandwagon after your accountancy course :)

Reaction score
Parallels is better than VMware. Try virtual box first, since it's free is your best option.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
VirtualBox, as noted by mrplow, is developed by Oracle and originally by Sun. You've got brand support there if that's really an issue.

I use VBox every day and it's great. The Windows support is excellent and although I haven't used either Fusion or Parallels at any great length, I can say that I am more than comfortable recommending VBox (especially if you're only looking to run Office).

Reaction score
This is something that has been discussed ad nauseum on this forum. Searching would have helped. But the short answer is, as between Parallels and VM Ware ... for a single-user installation of Windows, the differences in practical terms are largely stylistic and it boils down to your personal preferences.

I prefer VM Ware but that's just my personal views and YMMV.

Virtual Box does everything the other 2 do with the exceptions (i) it lacks much 3D support (the others aren't great anyway and if you want to do 3D gaming, you should avoid virtual machines anyway and use Boot Camp for the install) and (ii) VB does not allow you to create a VM off an existing Boot Camp installation.

SInce both Parallels and Fusion have free trial versions and VirtualBox is free anyway, why don't you just try all 3 and see what you like better?

Cheers

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
SInce both Parallels and Fusion have free trial versions and VirtualBox is free anyway, why don't you just try all 3 and see what you like better?

Excellent suggestion!:)

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 3.4 GHz..12GB RAM 250GB SSD +2TB HD Lion 10.7. Parallels 7 & with Win7
Parallels 7

Hi!
I researched this for myself as first time user of an iMac running Lion 10.7
I did not want to have to reboot etc. so after quite a lot of checking I decided on Parallels 7 and installed Win7 64bit and have this permanetly open as desktop2. which means a finger swipe switches me between desktops.
Although I use MS Office 2002 in Windows I also ended up buying a copy of MS Office 2011 for Mac. This version allows you to save in previous versions file format and the only thing I have to set up because of a 27" screen is to increase display size to 150%. I find that the files are easy to use and compatible in either OS.
My planing is to eventually quit using Windows.
ps.. I did have a little trouble getting Parallels to operate correctly but Parallels online help was great and what was wrong was a crook installation which was fixed up and 2 months later on it is still working well.
all the best
ronpeck;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.