Monitor output broken?

Reaction score
Hi,

I was going to hold a keynote at my school on my macbook when i noticed the cable to the tv was broken and therefore I had to do something else.

Afterwards I can not connect to any monitor/tv. It only says "the signal is not recognised" and so on. Can it really be true that a corrupt cable destroys my monitor output? Or what do I do?

I hope you can help...

B.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
When you say 'Afterwards' - after what exactly? What happened?

Also, knowing your MacBook model and specs will help along with the type of cable/adapter you use.

OP
B
Reaction score
It was because of the tv I tried to connect to at school had a broken cable, so it couldn't fit in the tv. The things (I do not know what they are called) were bended in the cable. The other end of the cable was connected to my macbook and apparently it short circuited something.

I have a Macbook 2,4 GHz Intel Core 2 dual.

The cable from my computer was an adapter to an ordinary monitor cable. At first I thought it was my adapter cable that was broken and bought a new one. But it still won't work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
If you've tried a different cable to a different screen then it does indeed sound as though some low level damage has been done.

Does the system profiler still list the connector as a device?

But ultimately I'd take a trip to an Apple store to be formally diagnosed

OP
B
Reaction score
It was a normal cable as there always is linked to a monitor. In this situation it was broken in the end so I could not connect it to the screen (the monitor). I am just surprised it has broken my output at the other end of the cable!

I have to check the system profiler. Where do I find it?

Thanks for your help so far.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
It was a normal cable as there always is linked to a monitor. In this situation it was broken in the end so I could not connect it to the screen (the monitor). I am just surprised it has broken my output at the other end of the cable!

I have to check the system profiler. Where do I find it?

Thanks for your help so far.

But do you have another screen and cable you could borrow/use to check with along with the new adapter. I.e. using completely different kit. If it still misbehaves it HAS to be the Mac.

System profiler can be found in The Apple Menu top-left of your desktop. About this Mac - More info... It's either System Profiler in here or System report depending on your OS version

OP
B
Reaction score
I have tried different cables and monitors. So it is the Mac. I was curious if others have had the same problem and what the solution would be (price)!

Reaction score
The solution, IF the video out put is shorted, is replacing the logic board (better known as the Motherboard. the hart of the system) and it won't be cheap.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.