Wireless System Overhaul - help and recommendation needed

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
Hi

I'm helping my Dad create an entirely new wireless system at his house this weekend. His current one just isn't good enough. There are a lot of issues causing wifi problems which stop his Apple TV and Ipad2 working properly (wifi wise).

Modem and Router (separates) will be upstairs in office. Apple TV and Ipad mainly used down stairs (where signal is currently weak)

So this is my plan - any help is appreciated it - thank you

• New router - Apple Airport Extreme Base Station (Is this the best in the price range?)
  • Apple Airport plug adaptor - to boost Wifi signal in weaker areas
  • Internet plug adaptor - that allow you to attach an ethernet cable into an electric plug. Plan is to do this so the Apple TV runs off of cable and not wifi to stop buffering etc

Any other ideas or problems with the above?

Would really appreciate all and any help

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Sounds like a perfectly reasonable plan. The Extreme is a very capable router and the Airport Express (the plug adapter) works well to extend Airport-based wifi networks.

A few things to note:
1. Ethernet over power adapters have to be used in pairs and while they can work very well you won't know how they perform until you get then in-situ (much depends on how the wiring is configured in the house).
2. I don't know the nature of the issues you're currently having but you need to consider channel clashes with nearby wireless networks, house construction and interference - a new router may not necessarily be a silver bullet to resolving all of those issues.

There are other routers to consider but the majority of my recommendations would be ADSL modem/routers so perhaps a member with greater cable modem experience can through a few ideas your way.

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MPB 2.2 Intel Core Duo 2gb Ram - G5 Tower PPC - iPhone 4 - 2x3GHZ 12gb Ram MacPro Tower, ATV2
Thank you Mr Plow very helpful

I should say that the main reason for this is loss of signal. I've read the FAQ here and read around other places. I think the main reason for this signal loss is house structure.

However, the reason I want to go with the Airport system is that the Express elements that go into the plugs only work wirelessly with the Apple router.

Can this be confirmed or denied?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
It's true that the Airport Expresses can only extend networks created by either a Time Capsule, Airport Extreme or another Airport Express.

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks guys! Very helpful! Think I'm going to go with my planned set up!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Do let us know how it all works and if you need more help, be sure to ask.

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks everyone!

Just set up the AirPort Extreme and as expected - it's excellent!

The signal has been extended in the house but there still seems to be some problems. I'm going to go get the Express in a moment.

But is there anything else I can do to help? Like changing channels on the the router?

I've read that solely using 5ghz isn't really an option as its range is lacking and that won't help with creating this media set up (sending photos, video and music round the house) - so what other options do we have if other wireless devices - house phones etc - get in the way?

Thanks again

OP
newby
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hi

Just to say all done and working fine! Only one room in the house where there is no signal now... but other than that its' spot on!

Thanks everyone for all your help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Glad it's working for you and thanks for posting back

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.