Issue with Quicktime player (Mac) and Webcam software?

Reaction score
I just bought a Macbook pro. I downloaded some webcam software ( a program called ManyCam). I want to load video into it but can't (when I go to select a video the box is greyed out.) I went to their website and they said that if the default media player won't play the video file than ManyCam will not be able to and something about codecs. So since Quicktime is my default media player I tried opening the videos I downloaded which was in a format not supported by Quicktime. I converted them to .mp4 format using a Mac converter. Quicktime is now able to play the files but ManyCam still hasn't changed ( I can't load video). If it makes a difference I downloaded VLC media player and even tried making it my default player but it didn't work. Help is appreciated.

I've been all over the internet looking for a solution. I've spent about 3 hours tonight trying different suggestions and I've been to a couple forums but nothing.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I can't begin to help with ManyCam but I can help as far as getting your videos to play.

Not sure what a "Mac converter" is? I've come across many video conversion apps but not this one.

But before we get to solutions there are a few questions to answer:
What's the origin of the video?
What format is the video in?
Will VLC play it?
Do you have Perian installed?

OP
I
Reaction score
I can't begin to help with ManyCam but I can help as far as getting your videos to play.

Not sure what a "Mac converter" is? I've come across many video conversion apps but not this one.

But before we get to solutions there are a few questions to answer:
What's the origin of the video?
What format is the video in?
Will VLC play it?
Do you have Perian installed?

That's what I meant. A video converter for Mac. Anyway,

Origin of the video is a file hosting website.
Format of the video is .wmv
VLC does play it.
I do not have perian installed, no.

Edit: I just downloaded Perian. Now what?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Knowing which convertor you used would be helpful. But, to the original issue:
Perian allows Quicktime to play many varied formats. Windows Media files are licensed in a different way.
You'll need Flip4Mac for that.

Once they can be played in Quicktime you should be able to open them in your new software.

OP
I
Reaction score
Knowing which convertor you used would be helpful. But, to the original issue:
Perian allows Quicktime to play many varied formats. Windows Media files are licensed in a different way.
You'll need Flip4Mac for that.

Once they can be played in Quicktime you should be able to open them in your new software.

I used Kigo Video Converter. And I'll download Flip4Mac right now.

Ok. I installed both Flip4Mac and Perian and I clicked on the video. I get the following error message:

"The document “man hit by ice cream truck.wmv” could not be opened. A required codec isn't available."

What should I do now?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.