S.M.A.R.T. Monitoring out of no where?

Reaction score
So I recently had this thing pop up at the top of my macbook pro mid 2009 running Lion I don't know what it means can someone clarify? I looked up info about this and if im not mistaken it's to check if your hardrive is good and if it will crash.
http://i39.tinypic.com/qqe8tv.png
Oh and btw when I try and click on the options none of them work except stop smart monitoring.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
You are running an application named Disk Drill. As part of its features, it monitors the SMART status of your hard drive.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.M.A.R.T.

It didn't appear out of nowhere. You had to have downloaded, run, and configured Disk Drill at some point. It's a piece of software whose primary function is to recover deleted files. Monitoring the SMART status, drive temperature, and other data is a bonus.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks for the info and yeah It was my nieces boyfriend who downloaded multiple programs to recover deleted files from his memory cards etc. Thanks again I was getting worried.
But now the thing is how can I get rid of it. I looked up disk drill throughout my mac and nothing and my nieces bf deleted all of the programs he was using. What do you recommend my good man

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
The SMART monitoring tool from Disk Drill is actually loaded separately and stored in /Library. It's rather odd how they did that… if the monitoring tool is enabled, and Disk Drill gets deleted, the SMART monitor gets left behind.

Anywho… open Activity Monitor and look for the process named SmartDaemon. Select Quit Process from the toolbar and kill that sucker.

Next, go to /Library/Application Support and delete the entire folder for CleverFiles. That contains the SmartDaemon app and other related files.

Once done, empty the Trash. You should also run Onyx and use the tool to rebuild the LaunchServices since OS X is expecting to load up those files on startup.

The cleaner way to do this is re-download and run Disk Drill; open its preferences and, under the SMART toolbar option, disable the option to monitor the disks; then quit Disk Drill and delete it and that folder mentioned earlier. You can use a 3rd party "uninstaller" like AppCleaner, which will root out some of the other files it leaves behind, however I do know for certain that they will not find or delete that folder mentioned earlier (I just tested it to see).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.