Is it worth getting a F/W cable for new iPod?

Reaction score
Ive odered a Firewire Cable to use with the new iPod which I ordered at the same time. I now find out it hasnt got a F/W connection! However the Dock has.

Is it worth using the Firewire just to charge the iPod and I can then swap USB2 ports when required to transfer data? Or can it transfer data through the Firewire to the Dock and from the Dock to the iPod?

Help, Im lost!

Thanks,
Tc

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
You can only use the FireWire cable for charging. I find that very use full if you have an old charge. You leave the USB cable on the computer and the FireWire on the charger.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
I'd return the firewire cable since it's pretty worthless with the 5G iPods. That being said, if your computer has USB 2.0 ports I can pretty much guarantee you that you'll notice no speed difference between the two.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
Yeah - send it back unless you have an old charger with a firewire port.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
I have an iPod Photo that came with both cables and the dock. Recently I upgraded my G4 with a USB 2 PCI card for use with my digital camera. I decided to try the USB cable that was collecting dust and it works great. Now I can leave the firewire cable plugged into the dock in the living room, where there is no computer. It saves the hassle of getting behind alot of stuff to plug it in or remove it.

Keep the cable.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.