Power Issue with 2011 iMac

Reaction score
I just tried to upgrade the ram in my mid 2011 iMac. I'd done it once before and it worked just fine, but this time, I tried to upgrade it to 16gb from 8gb and it refuses to turn on now, just gives me the three beeps. Can anyone tell me what to do or what might be going on? Thanks!

Steve

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Re-seat the modules. I have that same machine and I can testify that the modules are difficult to get seated properly. I wore out my thumbs the first time I tried and then decided to use a thick cloth to assist. The modules will seem like they're seated as they push down into the slots but unless you feel that second click or snap into place, they're not seated. Let us know.

OP
S
Reaction score
I'll tell you what, I did everything short of using a hammer to jam those things into place. It felt like they seated correctly, but I tried using a cloth to push harder and I don't think those things are going any further. Last attempt was about 3 minutes ago. Any other tips or tricks or am I going to have to take it in?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'll tell you what, I did everything short of using a hammer to jam those things into place. It felt like they seated correctly, but I tried using a cloth to push harder and I don't think those things are going any further. Last attempt was about 3 minutes ago. Any other tips or tricks or am I going to have to take it in?

- What ram did you purchase (specs)?
- Where did you purchase the ram?...maybe it's the wrong type.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
16GB 4x4GB DDR3-1333 MHz

I thought compatibility issue right away too, but I tried re installing the old ram and it did the same thing.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16GB 4x4GB DDR3-1333 MHz

I thought compatibility issue right away too, but I tried re installing the old ram and it did the same thing.

Wait a minute. Are you saying that this iMac is not recognizing the old ram or the new ram?

And did the iMac recognize the "old ram" fine...before attempting the 16gig upgrade?

Thanks,

- Nick

p.s. Also (as asked above)...where did you purchase the ram? Sometimes not all ram is the same...and sometimes it's best to buy from a place that assures the ram is compatible with Mac's.

OP
S
Reaction score
Unfortunately yes. It was working just fine before the attempted upgrade, now it is recognizing none of the ram I try to throw in there.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unfortunately yes. It was working just fine before the attempted upgrade, now it is recognizing none of the ram I try to throw in there.

I sure hope nothing got damaged during the "ram swaps". You did mention above..."I did everything short of using a hammer to jam those things into place."

If the old (previously working ram)...is now not working...the ONLY difference from before was..."SOMEONE" opened the computer...and attempted to install ram (otherwise it sounds like everything would be fine).;)

Not only are there delicate parts in there...but excessive force should not be used...and proper grounding of the installer should be done (prior) to the installer touching anything (static electricity).

The only other suggestion I can offer. Since this is a mid-2011 iMac...it still probably has Applecare remaining on it:)...so have Apple check it out.

- Nick

OP
S
Reaction score
****, that's what I was trying to avoid. I may have inadvertently damaged something and that's what I was afraid of. Well, thanks Nick. It didn't look good from the beginning so I was preparing myself for that.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
****, that's what I was trying to avoid. I may have inadvertently damaged something and that's what I was afraid of. Well, thanks Nick. It didn't look good from the beginning so I was preparing myself for that.

I'm not saying that 100% you DID damage something. But since the old ram is now not working (when reinstalled)...it seems rather suspicious.;)

And if nothing was damaged (and we cannot figure what's wrong) that's why it's great you still have some remaining Applecare (I'm assuming)...so the Apple folks can troubleshoot it & see what's up.

Good luck,:)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey

Let us know what Apple says. If any damage did occur, it may have been when you removed the modules to do that second upgrade to 16 GB. Over the many years that I've worked on various computers as a tech, my iMac was one of the most difficult I've run into to get the modules seated properly.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.