My beautiful G4 dual pro"Quicksilver" is very sad:-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
G3, G4 dual Quicksilver, MacPro QuadCore £Ghz
My G4 dual processor 2x1Ghz "Quicksilver" 1.5GB memory, bus speed:133Mhz is very sad to be left out of the iCloud, where she really belongs. After all that faithful service recording hit albums at Mountain Studios in Montreux, Switzerland. She works as well as ever!
She now runs the office, her big Sister mac pro quad-core Intel Xeon 2x3Ghz Mem 8Gb 667Mhz does the music at the moment.
But her job is crucial. She does the bookings and the contacts and the mail in the office.
And now she has months to go before being isolated from the world cloud. And will be redundant and useless.
This is because, I cannot upgrade her to Leopard OSX 5. The DVD just goes click click click. Not even a message to say why. How rude, how utterly rude.
How can a company we all loved turn into the same people all of us despised. How could you be so greedy as to make me throw Quicksilver, the champion, out to grass. i.e. in the trash.??
I'm not going to buy a new one... Just because.. I'll get a PC.. our enemy!
I'm going to quit your whole monopolistic scheme and network myself!!
I already have your iphone x2 iPad x2 and I still use my G3 blue Mac which still faithfully runs my Sample Cell from Pro-tools.. among other things.. such a lovely cute thing!
How many PC owners are still running their computers from the late 80's?
Please do not make your wonderful products redundant because of greed.
Because we will stop buying. Starting from now...right NOW!
I don't really need you..

You are pushing too hard. Give the pro's a break please.

Back to Analogue I suppose.

David Richards, producer 'Queen, David Bowie, Duran Duran, Chris Rea, Miles Davis etc..
Mountain Recording Studios
Switzerland

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
ANY G4 with 867Mhz or Higher will run OSX 10.5 Leopard. Where did you get the DVD from? Is it a retail factory? If not it's probably a machine specific DVD and Intel Only.

If your 10.5 IS a full retail DVD, then something is wrong with your DVD drive.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Sad G4

OK !

This is very kind and fast!

It's a DVD from my computer shop guy in Geneva who installed Leopard on my Intel.
It is not a full retail DVD.
I suspected this and tried to buy from apple store but no longer available.
i went to E-bay, got mislead and was sent a manual for $15. (what's the icon for embarrassment?)
Got a bit frustrated and posted here.
So if I can get a proper retail it'll work?
I bet they're like gold dust then...
Still blame Apple for creating a darstadly black market rush.
Although, maybe not deliberate, just daft.

David

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
OK !

This is very kind and fast!

It's a DVD from my computer shop guy in Geneva who installed Leopard on my Intel.
It is not a full retail DVD.
I suspected this and tried to buy from apple store but no longer available.
i went to E-bay, got mislead and was sent a manual for $15. (what's the icon for embarrassment?)
Got a bit frustrated and posted here.
So if I can get a proper retail it'll work?

Yes, it will. But that machine is so old, you may not like how it runs. Leopard is now 2 versions out of date, so the benefits of upgrading are dubious at best.

I bet they're like gold dust then...

They are pricey - and given the relative value of that particular machine, I'm not sure I'd recommend investing in it. It'd be like fixing a dent on the bumper of an '82 Chevette.

Still blame Apple for creating a darstadly black market rush.
Although, maybe not deliberate, just daft.

David

I'm not sure you can blame Apple here. 10.5 (Leopard) was released in 2007. It was widely available until late 2009 when it was superseded by Snow Leopard. Had you upgraded then, it wouldn't have been a big deal. Technology moves at a blistering pace, and if you don't keep up, at some point you'll get left in the dust.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Quicksilver..My Baby

<Technology moves at a blistering pace, and if you don't keep up, at some point you'll get left in the dust.>

Yes, You are absolutely right...but it gets quite expensive to be always on the button.
That's what I did in 2005, when I had the cash, I went for the biggest latest speediest thing available, with all the Cinema Screens (soon surpassed). If you go too fast you get burnt too because it outdates quicker.
Anyway, I was happy with my Quicksilver purring away in my office, while of course I now have an Intel Quad-Core 3Ghz running my music work, (soon to be upgraded too).
It was just because if I did not get the latest iTunes for my Quicksilver.. I couldn't go on iCloud.. so no more fab syncing between all my family of Mac's (my Babies!) devices.
And without OSX 5 ...finito iCloud...Quicksilver redundant..ahh :)
No more iSync from July.
I even kept my G3 Blue, who still works perfectly! She runs my Sample Cell and midi stuff still to this day..

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
I have 10.5 on a 1.2Ghz G4 Mini and it runs ok. Not a bolt of Lightning but totally useable though. Finding a Retail 10.5 DVD might set you back $100 or more though.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I think that's what I'll have to do... It'll be worth it to keep my ol favourite gal goin'
However, shame I can't get from Apple directly..
Saw one going on e-bay for about $115.-
bet I'm not the only one in this predicament.
Better buy it quick;y...

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iCloud predicament

Guess the thread should have been called: "iCloud Predicament"

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.