Apple Desktop Warranty

Reaction score
Hi, does Apple have the same warranty policy regarding their desktops as that of their laptops?

Meaning, am I allowed to open an Apple desktop to switch RAM or an HD? Or would that void the warranty?

Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
Depends on the model. You can change the RAM on any of their models, desktop and laptops. The iMac and Mini, due to their complicated construction doesn't really list the hard drive as user replaceable. You can do it, but if you screw something up, warranty usually won't cover it.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Dennis brings up a very good point. Since the hard drives used in the new iMacs are proprietary, swapping one out yourself will likely void the warranty, at least for the hard drive.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.