Browsers

Reaction score
I have a Imac G-5 with OS 10.5.8 (Leopard) that was upgraded from 10.3 (Panther). Unfortunately the upgrade did not include changing to the Intel chip. Now. whenever I download another browser (latest versions) such as Chrome or Firefox, the Mac will not accept the browser operation. It downloads OK but won't open and I get a message telling me that it is not compatible with the Mac configuration I now have.

I have tried in vain to find a website for advising me what browser versions will work or a source for downloading earlier versions of browsers. Can you advise me what to do?

Many thanks,

Al Tucker

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" Late 2011 MBP,iPad '3' 32gb,iPhone4 32gb
I don't where you'd find older versions of those browsers, but you may like to give TenFourFox a try:

http://www.floodgap.com/software/tenfourfox/

It's a browser that's specifically designed for PPCs such as yours. I haven't tested it, as I don't have a PPC, but if it lives up to the hype its developers have given it, it should be pretty good.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Chrome is, and always has been, Intel only. Firefox stopped supporting the PowerPC architecture back with version 4.0, released in March of last year.

Unfortunately, it will get harder and harder to find browsers supported on the PPC architecture but TenFourFox should do the trick for now.

C

chas_m

Can you advise me what to do?

Hi Al!

Short term, my fine colleagues have given you a good answer.

Medium-term, you should be saving up for a new(er) Mac with at least a Core2Duo chip (ie 2007 or newer), and I'd suggest late 2008 as the "new cutoff" since Mountain Lion (10.8, coming out this summer) needs higher specs).

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.