Burned a Windows 7 ISO on to a blank DVD...

Reaction score
but when i go into Boot Camp, and create the partition, the installer disc still can't be found? Have been searching high and low for the answer to this... I have MacBook Pro with OS X 10.7.3 and I downloaded Windows 7 online and realized that the Mac is picky and needs the disc, so I inserted a DVD-R into my Mac and then burned the ISO file right to it. BUT NO! it cannot find the burnt disc :(

Please let me know if you can think of anything for me to try? Thank you!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
I suggest you buy a legal version of the Windows operating system and try again.

Cheers ... McBie

OP
M
Reaction score
It is legal! It was supplied to me through my college, I downloaded it from microsoft and I have my own registration number.

OP
M
Reaction score
I didn't use the Disk Utility to burn the disk, I just right-clicked (right click? two finger click?) the iso file and selected burn. Do you think that really was the problem?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Probably. Anyway, read the link Harry supplied. Disk Utility, Toast, Burn (free) or even a Windows program such as Nero or Ashampoo can burn an iso to disk.

After the burn is completed, test the disk by seeing if you can boot with it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.8 GHz i7 MBA 11" OSX 10.8.2
This is how a MSDN subscription works as well. You just get an ISO image and you burn it to disk.

I just used disk utility -> burn -> selected the iso and burned it. Booted fine and installed into bootcamp.

You cannot just right click and burn - I think that just copies the ISO to the disk.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Ivan is totally correct. All right clicking and burning did was copy the ISO to a DVD. It's still in ISO format on that DVD. That is not a bootable Windows DVD.

Do what Ivan said and you will have a bootable Windows 7 DVD.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
It is legal! It was supplied to me through my college, I downloaded it from microsoft and I have my own registration number.

:[
Fair is fair and I owe the OP my apologies for not understanding the context correctly and questioning the legal aspect of his/her request.
:Oops:

Cheers ... McBie

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac mini Server 4,1 (2.66GHz Core2Duo CPU, 16GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD), iPhone SE 2nd gen (128GB)
Please let me know if you can think of anything for me to try? Thank you!!
If you have access to a Windows 7 PC you can right-click the ISO file and there is an option to actually burn the files within the ISO to disk in bootable form, rather than just putting the packed file on the disk.

Either that, or - as others have said - use Disk Utility on your Mac to burn it like a DMG, or even "Restore" it to a USB stick like one can also do with a DMG.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.