Is there a way to wrangle it so contacts sync to iTunes & iCloud

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
on a Snow Leopard mac, and iOS5 iPhone & iPad?

I have the iPad and iPhone on iCloud sync and that works fine, within seconds the info is matching on the 2 devices. But in doing so I've lost my Mac's ability to pick up address book changes. So now my Mac address book is 2 months out of date.

Howcome I have to choose between the two? Is there a way that the Mac will update itself during the wired syncs to the devices, and the devices carry on iCloud syncing to each other the rest of the time?

Tanks for any input/advice, Jetpacks for solutions

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi in Address Book>Prefs>General what is checked in the Default Account?

Also in the Accounts tab which account is enabled?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 08 macbook 2.0 4gig 320hdd10.7.3 32 gig iPhone 4s
Hello, After some careful thought on this issue just the other night and trying several options I came to the conclusion that i couldn't make it work both ways...maybe also using goggle contacts is on option but seems like a pain. I would suggest ponying up the 30 bucks and downloading Lion so all your devices live happily on the cloud if its what you want.

Sorry I couldn't be more help

Clay

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Gotta agree with clayneal on that one. You can sync on iCloud without a Mac in the picture but in the long run the upgrade is the way forward. I bit my lip and upgraded iPhoto as well. You just don't get the full experience without both.

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Thats a shame as I've spent time on Lion and don't like a lot of the changes :/

But some of my issues with it appear to be getting fixed in Mountain Lion

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Is there a program that lets me extract the contacts from an iphone separate to iTunes/syncing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac, late 2012 model, 21"
Is there a program that lets me extract the contacts from an iphone separate to iTunes/syncing?

Try this. Log into iCloud.com and go to your address book. In the lower left corner of the screen, you should see an icon that looks like a gear. Click on it and select Select All. Then, click on the gear icon and select Export vCard. They should download to your Downloads folder.

From there, open up the Address Book app on your Mac and select File > Import from the menu bar. Select the vCards that you exported from iCloud, and they should appear in your Address Book.

And yes, I agree with the others with regard to Lion. Upgrade to it and make your life a lot easier. Even if you don't like the current version, chances are, you may need to be on Lion already if you want to be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

OP
MDJCM
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2009 13" MBP with SSD
Try this. Log into iCloud.com and go to your address book. In the lower left corner of the screen, you should see an icon that looks like a gear. Click on it and select Select All. Then, click on the gear icon and select Export vCard. They should download to your Downloads folder.

From there, open up the Address Book app on your Mac and select File > Import from the menu bar. Select the vCards that you exported from iCloud, and they should appear in your Address Book.

And yes, I agree with the others with regard to Lion. Upgrade to it and make your life a lot easier. Even if you don't like the current version, chances are, you may need to be on Lion already if you want to be able to upgrade to Mountain Lion.

Thats good stuff, thanks!

Only think that doesnt carry over are the contact photos but i can live with that :Smirk:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.