• This forum is for posting news stories or links from rumor sites. When you start a thread, please include a link to the site you're referencing.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM TO ASK "WHAT IF?" TYPE QUESTIONS.

THIS IS NOT A FORUM FOR ASKING QUESTIONS ABOUT HOW TO USE YOUR MAC OR SOFTWARE.

This is a NEWS and RUMORS forum as the name implies. If your thread is neither of those things, then please find the appropriate forum to ask your question.

If you don't have a link to a news story, do not post the thread here.

If you don't follow these rules, then your post may be deleted.

Apple 1984 Launch

Reaction score
Yeah it's a classic. We see that Jobs was a marketing genius even back then...

By the way: What's the name of that popular theme that plays during the mac demo?

OP
L

lil

There is the whole 1984 Shareholdes Meeting video somewhere but it is a huge download.

I watch it time to time to remind myself exactly what the Mac is about :) So the story goes, they made a very rough version of Vangelis' Chariots of Fire that played out on the Mac but it was not very good, so at the unveiling itself - it was played on a CD Player (yes, 1984 :flower:)

Also make sure you see the 1984 if you have never seen it, it is regardless of it being Apple or Macintosh - the best advert ever made.

Vicky

Reaction score
The add with the fall of IBM and all: I never understood it, probably it's just behind my time or i missed the reference. To me it's just a huge mystery, the red lady running and those weitd WW2-looking guys ... it's scary...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
Did you guys know it was Ridley Scott that directed the ad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
This site has other mac videos on it, including the shareholder meeting (the complete vid, it's called)
http://www.mac-essentials.de/index.php/mac/14276/

If you are interested in early apple history, I reccomend checking out Folklore.org, or getting a copy of the excellent book "Revolution in the Valley" by Andy Hertzfeld. I made a widget for the site a few months ago, and Andy, the author of the book and the site, who was also an original mac team member, was very helpful in answering emails I sent him with questions.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
1.67 Ghz 17" PB w/1 GB Ram; 400 MHz PM G4, 366Mhz iBook Firewire, Nano 4GB Black
Meyvn said:
Did you guys know it was Ridley Scott that directed the ad?

yeah, for Chiat/Day, right?

OP
L

lil

yogi said:
The add with the fall of IBM and all: I never understood it, probably it's just behind my time or i missed the reference. To me it's just a huge mystery, the red lady running and those weitd WW2-looking guys ... it's scary...

Maybe I have missed the point but sure the reference is inferring IBM but it's more to do with George Orwell's seminal novel - 1984 and the reference to Big Brother.

If you already have grasped that - then oops, sorry - would never want to patronise, but that book is the direct reference.

A book you must read IMHO.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
icemanjc said:
doesnt work
crap, it worked when I posted it, but they must have pulled it down recently after.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Custom PC
I have 4 segments of AVi videos of this if any one's interested, I could StuffIt/email it or send over MSN or whatever, [email protected] if you're interested.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.