Texting from iMac to Iphone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
I'm old as dirt, and not too bright - some say I most have gone to grade school with Methuselah. My kids text each other and get responses fast, while I email them and wait a day or two, or three. So, my question is, how can I text them from my iMac to iPhone when I need a faster response? Thanks in advance.

Pete (The Oldfella)

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Oh, Rats! Here is the message I get: "This update requires Mac OS X version 10.7." - I'm running OS X 10.6.8. - I bought the "Lion" version when it first came out, but dumped it because of some goofy issues and went back to the "Leopard" version, and can't find my proof of purchase (Lion) to get it back :( ... any ideas? Thanks.

Pete

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2018 15" MBP, 2019 11" iPad Pro, iPhone 11 Pro
Oh, Rats! Here is the message I get: "This update requires Mac OS X version 10.7." - I'm running OS X 10.6.8. - I bought the "Lion" version when it first came out, but dumped it because of some goofy issues and went back to the "Leopard" version, and can't find my proof of purchase (Lion) to get it back :( ... any ideas? Thanks.

Pete

If you open the Mac App store on your Mac and go to "Purchases" (top of the screen), you should be able to see everything you purchased from there. (you'll have to be signed in to see your purchases) I'm assuming that's where you acquired Lion?

Just click on the Lion icon and re-download it. After installing, go here to update to latest version of Lion before installing Messages.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Moved out of the "Lounge" as this thread does not belong there.

As for your original purchase of Lion... just log on to the App store with your original userid and password and you can download Lion again without having to pay. Read through the following thread to learn how to re-download Lion.

LINK

OP
oldfella
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Thanks, folks - After additional research, I found that Lion is till riddled with unresolved issues - so, I think I'll wait until "Mountain Lion" is out and gets a good going-over by the gurus to pursue my "texting from my Mac to iPhone" quest. Thanks for your courtesies.

Pete (The Oldfella)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Thanks, folks - After additional research, I found that Lion is till riddled with unresolved issues - so, I think I'll wait until "Mountain Lion" is out and gets a good going-over by the gurus to pursue my "texting from my Mac to iPhone" quest. Thanks for your courtesies.

Pete (The Oldfella)

Hey Pete,
As long as the specs and software updates are up to speed on your iMac for Lion then you shouldn't have any problems. There where a few niggles initially, and the wi-fi reconnect issue has just been resolved.
Everything is good here and with most folks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
As an aside to the Lion issues can I susgest that if the email account used supports push (many do now but iCloud accounts, gmail, yahoo as a few examples) the email will arrive just as quick as a text.

If it's fast response you're after I'd suggest it's got more to do with how the recipient responds to texts/emails rather than the speed of the method used that's in question here.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.