Bootcamp / Windows XP problem

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm not sure where to post this, but as a newbie I figured this would be the spot:

I have this MacBook: MacBook 2.0GHz Intel Core 2 Duo - Aluminum - Apple Store (U.S.)

I upgraded the 2Gb of RAM to 4Gb and then decided to use Bootcamp to partition my hard drive and install an OEM copy of Windows XP Pro that I had purchased. I did this so that I could play SWTOR (which would need to be set to its lowest settings for even remote playability).

I did everything, and went to sign on to Windows XP but it immediately asked for activation (not the normal 30 days). I tried to activate via internet (no internet drivers so no surprise it didn't work). So, I clicked on "activate by telephone." Well, no activation code showed up so no Microsoft employee would help me. I was a bit frustrated, tried booting it in Safe Mode to see if I could do anything (no surprise, I couldn't because I'm not that knowledgeable but felt like I was because of google). Anyway, I played around by trying to boot it in a few different ways and by sheer luck or fluke (I say this because I don't know how I did it), it booted right up into Windows without asking for my password. The typical Windows with the rolling hills opened up and I was advised I had 30 days to register Windows XP. I then downloaded all the required drivers from my Mac OS X disc and, since I had an internet connection, it worked. It validated my copy and I downloaded all the updates. Everything was working fine. Until......

I went to install SWTOR and realized its huge!!! I partitioned my measly 160Gb hard drive allowing 25Gb to Windows. It wasn't enough! So....I deleted the partition via Boot Camp. Then, through some good advice on these forums, I purchased a larger hard drive (320Gb).

So, I installed my big hard drive, restored from time machine, partitioned my hard drive via Boot Camp (Windows portion now has 120Gb of dedicated space) and re-installed Windows. Same problem as initially! Except, I can't get into Windows at all to activate via internet.

Again, being quite frustrated I contacted Microsoft for a telephone activation and this time I must say they were trying to be helpful and polite. Nothing worked though. I told them by sheer luck I had got in and activated/validated it 2 days earlier. They assured me that they knew I had a valid, legal copy and that they would help me out. I was on the phone for 2 hours, they tried the start-run-enter: rundll32.exe etc code to allow me another 30 days to activate but nothing worked. They had me reboot my computer several times, repair install, etc and nothing worked. Then they had me go back to activate by telephone and provided two new product keys for me for Windows XP Pro and for some reason their codes kept reading that they were not entered correctly (weird? are they playing with me?)

So, after a couple hours I said I couldn't stay on the phone any longer and they said they would phone back in 3 hours (worked for my schedule). They never phoned.

Does anyone know whats going on? I have googled this and people mention the IE8 file but thats not my issue. I can connect to the internet just fine when I logged on that one time (**** I wish I made enough room in the first instance!) My issue is not being able to log on at all and not being able to see the activation ID via "telephone activation."

Is there some way to allow me to log on immediately and allow a 30 day activation. It doesn't say that my Windows XP is expired or anything.

So frustrated, any assistance or advice would be much appreciated

OP
Z
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with VMware Fusion. Is that software that has fixed this problem in the past?

Edit: I'm at work but did a quick google. It seems like its just another platform but may not assist with this exact problem? I'd hate to spend $49 and have it not work. Can you or anyone clarify please? If this software has fixed this exact problem in the past, it would be worth it then.

Reaction score
Fusion is a program that allows you to create a virtual machine rather than use boot camp. for gaming, it's not really recommended if your game uses 3D graphics. The poster was suggesting you try installing windows that way. It will also require an activation code but you apparently already have 3 of those. :)

VirtualBox from Sun is a free version of that but has no real 3D support. However, Fusion does have a free trial period so you could test it and see if it's something with your copy of Windows at least.

Otherwise, I guess I would delete the partition and start over one more time. For future reference, if all you need to do is increase your Windows partition size, you can use CampTune from Paragon Software, which will do that non-destructively (it is not free, however).

Good luck

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
For what it is worth Zulu each and every installation of Windows via Bootcamp requires immediate activation. Yet to see the thirty day window.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.