MAIL and sending AOL email

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 21.5" 2.5Ghz OS X LION 10.7.3
Hi, I've set up Mail on my iMac to access my AOL email account and am able to receive emails okay, BUT I cannot Send them .
I've checked that the settings are correct with those stipulated by Apple and on the AOL Help website, deleted and recreated the Account within Mail just in case, tinkered with one or two of the settings (eg checking/unchecking the SSL box for the output server - as Apple and AOL give contradictory values for this !) and yet .... I cannot send an Email (although I can file incoming messages in mail folders or delete them if I choose).
A further complication is that the folders held on the AOL server are not all reproduced within the Mail view.
I've phoned Applecare and did not get much help (basically, "try AOL .....").
Anyone else encountered similar problems ? and know of a solution ?
Any advice on this would be gratefully received.
THANKS

rman

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14in MacBook Pro M1 Max 32GB 2TB
did you set your in/out going mail to the aol servers?

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mail servers = imap.aol.com for Incoming & smtp.aol.com for Outgoing (with the SSL box Checked/Unchecked - it makes no difference, they still won't go !!) :Shouting:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
If I understand your problem... you're able to receive email messages from the IMAP address but unable to send using the SMTP address on AOL? If you've verified the addresses used are correct, then it almost has to be a configuration problem. I'm not familiar with AOL but have a similar setup using Google Mail (GMail) and ran into the same sort of problem. The resolution was to access the server from the Web and change my login password.

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
If I understand your problem... you're able to receive email messages from the IMAP address but unable to send using the SMTP address on AOL? If you've verified the addresses used are correct, then it almost has to be a configuration problem. I'm not familiar with AOL but have a similar setup using Google Mail (GMail) and ran into the same sort of problem. The resolution was to access the server from the Web and change my login password.

Yes, the server addresses are definitely correct according to AOL. I'll give your suggestion a try and come back if it works. If not, I'll try elsewhere. Thanks

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yes, the server addresses are definitely correct according to AOL. I'll give your suggestion a try and come back if it works. If not, I'll try elsewhere. Thanks

CHSCAG - Thank you - It worked. I logged on to AOL and changed my password, logged off and went to MAIL to change the password there for both the Incoming & Outgoing servers. Lo and Behold - not only can I receive meals - as before - but now I can successfully send them. It defies logic but Hey Who Cares, it works.....
I'd never have thought of it as a possible solution (neither did Applecare BTW) so, once again, Many Thanks Chscag for your post :)

OP
P
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
CHSCAG - Thank you - It worked. I logged on to AOL and changed my password, logged off and went to MAIL to change the password there for both the Incoming & Outgoing servers. Lo and Behold - not only can I receive meals - as before - but now I can successfully send them. It defies logic but Hey Who Cares, it works.....
I'd never have thought of it as a possible solution (neither did Applecare BTW) so, once again, Many Thanks Chscag for your post :)

meals = e-mails (typo in my excitement !!):Smirk:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Well, that's good news. Thanks for letting us know. Visit us often and have fun. :)

Reaction score
Thanks so much for this thread. Have had exactly the same problem on my iPhone; syncing with the iMac didn't help. Completely forgot about changing the password for the outgoing server! All working fine now.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.