EFI Update and My Mini

Reaction score
Hello All,
So first off, I am a recently converted Mac user (and to think I thought PC's were the way to go for almost 13 years) and I know minimal about OS X and how it works. But needless to say, according to Software Update, I needed to install the EFI firmware update and did so, I think. Anyway, whenever I go to shut down my Mac Mini (Mid 2011 w/Intel Graphics) it goes to a gray background with the "task bar?" showing that Software Updater is the currently running program and just stays there for hours. It won't let me close Software Updater, or shutdown/restart/log off, it just sits there. I have tried Safe Mode to no avail, I have also tried installing the EFI update again manually downloading it from Apple - when ran it says it's not for my system (when I am almost certain it is), I have tried the whole clear the SMC by unplugging the power cord, etc., but that didn't help.... I also know the mini will shut down if you use the shutdown now command in terminal. Please help me fix this annoying little problem so I can shut my mini down properly!! Help me my mac friends, you are my only hope! :Oops:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Well that definitely sounds like it's not going as planned. Let's start over. First off… are you able to boot normally into Mac OS X? If so, let's verify which Mac you have exactly. From the Apple menu (top left of menubar), select About This Mac, then More Info. It should tell you clearly which Mac mode/year it is right there if you are running Lion. My memory is a little fuzzy with how it reads in Snow Leopard if you are running that.

Also please verify the version of OS X you are running. And take note of my signature.

OP
H
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply lifeisabeach! I notice you are from Wilmington NC - great place! My wife and I visit your area at least once a year for a little relaxation, seafood, and a little time at WB. Anyway, I am actually on my used MacPro at work - the mini is at the house - I am able to boot perfectly into OS X on it though, just the shutdown is the issue. I do know that it is OS X 10.7.3 and it is the Mac mini (Mid 2011) with Intel graphics. The update that I installed off of Apple's website was for the - Macmini5,1 - MM51.0077.B10 (EFI 1.6) that I downloaded and installed. Hope this helps, if not I will be able to update further when I get home tonight. Thanks again!! - FYI No antivirus or MacKeeper on this one - just MS Office, Toast, and Popcorn.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for the reply lifeisabeach! I notice you are from Wilmington NC - great place! My wife and I visit your area at least once a year for a little relaxation, seafood, and a little time at WB.

Yep, Wilmington is nice. I settled here several years ago. I'm not far from WB. In fact, if you ever see a big guy walking a white pit bull at the loop, that'd be me.

Anyway, I am actually on my used MacPro at work - the mini is at the house - I am able to boot perfectly into OS X on it though, just the shutdown is the issue. I do know that it is OS X 10.7.3 and it is the Mac mini (Mid 2011) with Intel graphics. The update that I installed off of Apple's website was for the - Macmini5,1 - MM51.0077.B10 (EFI 1.6) that I downloaded and installed. Hope this helps, if not I will be able to update further when I get home tonight. Thanks again!! - FYI No antivirus or MacKeeper on this one - just MS Office, Toast, and Popcorn.

Just to be certain… this is what should be the correct firmware:
Mac mini EFI Firmware Update 1.6

Of course if you had the wrong one, OS X should have warned you, so I doubt that's the problem. I'm doing some Googling… do you happen to have a piece of software named FitBit installed? That has been giving some people issues:
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/3220091?start=0&tstart=0

I'm actually tapped out for ideas. If anything, I would think that booting into Safe Mode and trying the install should have worked. Something has gone awry, that's for sure. You can try creating a new user, log out of all others and try installing the EFI update from the new one. Perhaps consider downloading and applying the 10.7.3 Combo Update, then re-try the EFI update.

If that fails, barring someone else coming along with an idea, I can really only recommend calling Apple at that point. If the EFI is corrupt, there's nothing to do except replace the logic board. You should be under warranty still, so definitely hit them up.

OP
H
Reaction score
Well, to start, the update you listed is the one I selected and installed, second - I haven't even heard of Fitbit - so "no dice" there, I will try creating a new user - I know that solved many problems when tinkering around with some old pc's with Windows, if not it's on to the Combo update hopefully tonight or tomorrow, or it might end up with a call to Apple. Again, I appreciate you helping me - I will post as I try each step!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.