How to Completely Clear Out All HP Printer Files?

Reaction score
I have a C8180 HP multifunction printer. I dragged the printer to the trash from utilities, library and system preferences but it's still in the 'Add Printer' list. The site below details how to manually remove all the files on the partition. How do I find and remove these files manually? Isn't there an easier way of removing all traces of a printer? Even Windows was simpler than this! Thank you.

P.S. The reason for deleting the software is an attempt to re-set its timer which is telling me perfectly-good cartridges have expired. Only alternative is to remove the button battery inside but I don't have a screwdriver for the HP screws!

Macintosh:
Manually Uninstalling the HP Printer Software for Mac OS X V10.4 and Later HP Photosmart A636 Compact Photo Printer - HP Customer Care (United States - English)

Introduction

This document provides instructions for uninstalling the driver software for the HP printer on a Macintosh computer using the manual uninstall.

Macintosh: Manually uninstalling the HP printer software for Mac OS X V10.4 and later

Click the apple icon on the computer, click System Preferences , and then click Print & Fax . A list of printing and faxing products appears.
Select the product to be uninstalled and then click the minus sign (-) at the bottom of the list of products.

When the product has disappeared from the list, delete the following files from the partition on which the product is installed.

/Library/Printers/hp/filter/hprastertojpeg.driver
/Library/Printers/hp/Utilities/quick-connect-software-agent
/Library/LaunchAgents/com.hp.quick.connect.software.agent.plist
/Library/Printers/hp/Icons/HP\Photosmart\A530\A630.icns
System/Library/Extensions/hp_qc_io_enabler.kext
Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/HP\Photosmart\A530,A630.ppd.gz
/Library/Printers/PPDs/Contents/Resources/*.lproj/HP\Photosmart\A530,A630.ppd.gz
/Library/Receipts/HP\Photosmart\Compact\Photo\Printer.pkg
/Library/Receipts/HP\Photosmart\Compact\Photo\Printer\Support.pkg
/Library/Receipts/HP\Photosmart\Compact\Photo\Printer\Driver.pkg
/Library/Receipts/HP\ Photosmart\Compact\Photo\Printer\A530\A630\Support.pkg
/Library/Receipts/HP\ Photosmart\Compact\ Photo\ Printer\ A530\ A630\ IO\ Support.pkg
/Library/Receipts/HP\Photosmart\Compact\Photo\Printer\A530\A630\10.5\Support.pkg
/Library/Receipts/HP\Photosmart\Compact\Photo\Printer\A530\A630\10.4\Support.pkg

Empty the Trash .
Restart the computer.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
If the HP software came with an uninstaller, then that should have been used. If it didn't, then yes… this gets a lot more difficult. It shouldn't be this difficult, but many developers are very negligent in taking due care to minimize the amount of "cruft" left behind.

One thing you can try is reinstalling the software, then using a 3rd party "uninstaller" that will attempt to remove al traces of the app. Here's one freebie:
Download AppCleaner for Mac - Uninstall your apps easily. MacUpdate.com

Just drop the HP app on App Cleaner's window and it will look for those helper files. It will give you a list before actually deleting anything. Just review it to make sure all those files are on there. If anything is missing, you can root them out with the next step. One thing to bear in mind is that, with these 3rd party uninstallers, they won't look for helper files in other user accounts. I don't think this will matter in your case though.

To root out any remaining files, go to the directory that each one is in and delete them. For example: to get to /Library/Printers/hp/filter/hprastertojpeg.driver, you will start from Macintosh HD, go into the Library folder, then Printers, and so on. The / character means to start from the root folder of the hard drive.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thanks ... I used AppCleaner which removed the final HP folder from Macintosh HD ... and rebooted ... BUT documents still print on the HP printer.

Then removed manually all HP files from Macintosh HD ... at least it doesn't print now -- but it's still possible to see any items placed in the print queue. This hasn't re-set the internal clock to rid me of the expired cartridge messages. I'll try downloading the software again and see if that helps. Otherwise I'll have to find a way to get the button memory cell off its board!

OP
T
Reaction score
In the end I had to get a Torx 10 bit, remove the cover and circuit board to ditch the button battery which controls the date. Problem solved and no side effects ... just another scam to get us to buy new cartridges.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.