A1181 Backlight question, have searched

Reaction score
Hi all!

I'm new to the forum seeking for some help. I've searched a bit but couldn't find info on my specific problem.

It's an early 2008 with a 2.4 Core 2 Duo

Here are the symptoms:
- When I turn on the computer it will boot as usual but the backlight will turn on for about 1 second then turn off (before it shows the apple on the screen) but I can still see the image on the screen
- If I unplug the inverter from the logic board and plug it back while its running, the backlight will light up for a second then down again.
- If I use my mini-dvi to HDMI converter on my tv, everything works flawlessly so most likely not the logic board I guess?

Here's a video: Macbook A1181 13.3" - Display problem - YouTube

What I've done so far:
- Replaced the inverter (new one does the same thing as previous one, but lasts 1 second instead of just a very quick on/off flash like the previous one)
- Changed the CCFL tube (oh my... 3 hours of my life are just wasted and alot of patience down the drain too haha)

I guess I only have the cables to try. Any other suggestion? Could I just have been very (un)lucky and get a new inverter that's broken?

Thanks for your input!

Frank

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I guess I only have the cables to try. Any other suggestion? Could I just have been very (un)lucky and get a new inverter that's broken?

I feel for you in changing out the CCFL tube. Not even Apple attempts that - they change out the entire display assembly.

Since you already swapped out the inverter and the tube, there's not much left except the cables. However, one note of importance: Make sure the inverter you swapped out is an exact replacement. Substitute inverters usually do not work or will exhibit the symptom you described. If the inverter is an exact replacement, the only thing left is the cables. I guess you can always try another inverter, it's up to you.

OP
V
Reaction score
Hi and thanks for your reply.

Both of my inverters show the same part number, so unless a previous owner swapped a wrong inverter it "should" work.

Is there a list of cross reference between Macbook versions and inverter p/n?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OP
V
Reaction score
Wow now I'm pinpointing this on the logic board... :(

I've changed my inverter cable, 2x inverter, ccfl tube. Problem still persists. And to make things worst, I've broken the keyboard ribbon by plugging/unplugging it all the time

I guess this one is dead...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.