Crack in MBP screen

Reaction score
Hey all,

I had a quick question for you guys. I recently cracked my macbook pro screen. The screen is still fully functional and the crack is hardly noticeable when looking at the screen straight on (I worked on it for an hour before I even noticed anything). There is no damage to the LCD, I believe it is just the glass in front. I was wondering what it would cost to have this repaired. (I don't really feel comfortable doing it myself.) We called apple and got an estimate of about $300 but the technician didn't know if that was including labor (my guess is no).

So now I'm thinking maybe it would be cheaper (or close to the same cost) to sell my mbp to someone who could easily fix it and get a new computer.. any thoughts? If I am going to be paying ~$400 to Apple to repair the screen, I'm only about $700 away from a new mbp. Could I get that (or close to that) for my macbook pro?

Here are the specs...

Mac OS X Version 10.6.8
2.26 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
5 GB 1067 MHz DDR3

I don't really know what else you need to know about it besides that I got it new in November of 2009.

I am just trying to test the waters here and get some info on how to proceed.

Thanks in advance!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Check current prices on eBay, Craig's List, and Mac2Sell. Keep in mind that you'll need to deduct the cost of replacing the LCD from those prices. I doubt you would be able to get $700 for it though.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.