Retrieving hard drive contents from a fried Macbook Pro

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I spilt water on my macbook pro on Saturday. It's fried and won't even turn on now.

Apple genius told me it would cost $1250 to fix it. Recommended I buy a new one instead. So got one this morning.

Can anyone recommend me a way of retrieving all my files from the dead macbook? The Mac store genius said something about getting a "drive sled". But what is that? Is that the same thing as this: Amazon.com: Vantec NexStar TX 2.5-Inch SATA to USB 2.0 External Hard Drive Enclosure: Electronics

Will that do the job?

thanks in advance!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
That will work, or pretty much any SATA to USB enclosure will work. You could also do a dock type thing where you drop in the drive and it plugs in via USB.

OP
M
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply, Stretch.

Quick question: Am I going to be able to retrieve ALL my stuff from the hard drive? Like Adobe Software, internet bookmarks, emails..etc.? Or are those gone for good? Is it possible to use the hard drive as a time machine backup type thing and then restore it all onto my new macbook?

sorry, I'm not an expert on this kinda stuff! :Confused: :Blushing:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If the drive isn't damaged from the spill, then you should be able pull everything off it. You can use it as a time machine drive, but I wouldn't relie solely on that drive, because of possible water damage.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.