MacBook will not detect Airport

Reaction score
Hello. I have a 13" MacBook. For some reason it will not detect my airport network. Everything else in the house detects the airport just fine: the Xbox, PowerBook, iPods, iPhones, printer, no problems. Here's the screwy part...I step outside the house, and the computer picks up the neighbors' WIFI. I go to the apple store and it detects their WIFI immediately. I've tried resetting the airport, restarting the computer, and even restarting the computer outside with nothing else on the network. Nothing has seemed to get this MacBook to play nice with this airport. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What type of encryption are you using from the router? Also, are you broadcasting the SSID (network name) from your router?

C

chas_m

Do you perhaps have a limit set on the number of IP addresses that can connect to the router?

Is the "Airport" you're referring to an Airport Express? ISTR that it has a limit of 10 devices that can be connected to it at a time (these can be inactive connections too, like an iPhone that isn't in use at the moment but is still "holding" that IP address).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
My guess would be the type of encryption you are using. OS X doesn't like WEP (I think, don't hold me to it) sometimes, plus WEP isn't very secure. I'd recommend changing your router settings to WPA2 and trying again.

OP
R
Reaction score
Do you perhaps have a limit set on the number of IP addresses that can connect to the router?

Is the "Airport" you're referring to an Airport Express? ISTR that it has a limit of 10 devices that can be connected to it at a time (these can be inactive connections too, like an iPhone that isn't in use at the moment but is still "holding" that IP address).

I am using the Airport Express, and I'm not sure that there has ever been 10 items connected to it but the macbook would be one of the original things that ever connected to it.

Reaction score
remove the SSID from the list on your mac book

apple (top left) - system preferences - network - higlight wifi - click on advanced button - under wifi tab highlight your SSID modem - then click removed (-)

and then try to reconnect...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.