SMS backup for a new phone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
hey all, apolologies if this is posted already..I didn't see that it was.
I've had my iphone4 for a couple months and unfortunately my lock button doesn't work anymore. I'm about to get a new one through insurance but I don't want to lose all my texts that are stored in the history.
** is there any way I can back up my texts and load them on the new phone when I get it?
Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
hey all, apolologies if this is posted already..I didn't see that it was.
I've had my iphone4 for a couple months and unfortunately my lock button doesn't work anymore. I'm about to get a new one through insurance but I don't want to lose all my texts that are stored in the history.
** is there any way I can back up my texts and load them on the new phone when I get it?
Thanks

Hi,

I think you can back them up on iCloud. If you are on iOS5 then why not sign up for your free account?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
As pendlewitch says, an iCloud back up will do it, as will an iTunes backup.

Belt and braces, why not do the iTunes sync & backup then switch iCloud backup on and do that.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro Intel Core Duo, ProTools HD, Digi 192
Thanks for responding.
That's what I was thinking... but if you go to settings> icloud it doesnt have a slider for messages - just email, contacts etc. It is a possiblility it just does it automatically. I'm not too sure about the itunes backup though.
Thanks for the input!
Has anyone out there backed up to icloud and out it on a different phone and got their messages?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Thanks for responding.
That's what I was thinking... but if you go to settings> icloud it doesnt have a slider for messages - just email, contacts etc. It is a possiblility it just does it automatically. I'm not too sure about the itunes backup though.
Thanks for the input!
Has anyone out there backed up to icloud and out it on a different phone and got their messages?

Hi,
I don't think that your are meant to, or anyone else is meant to for privacy reasons. Everything is backed-up when you do a phone back-up when you plug it into the mains.

The info is stored should you need to restore your phone, which is basically what you will be doing when you transfer the back-up to the new one.

Go here for some more info because you need to be sure in your own head.

iOS: How to back up

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.