Snow Leopard install on iMac with new HD

Reaction score
I just received an iMac, April 2008 version with Penryn. It has Leopard on it. I did not get any disks with it but I have the boxed Snow Leopard DVD from when I upgraded my old Mac Pro a few years ago when Snow Leopard first came out. I bought a Snow Leopard upgrade for the iMac before deciding to install a new Hard Drive on it.
From what I read , I can install the OS on a 'new' drive from the upgrade DVD but I will not get iLife etc. I can not use the 'clean install' instructions I read on Macf-orums because the original owner wants the original HD from the iMac.
Given the above, any advice on how to get Snow Leopard on a new hard drive and have iLife, iWork etc. also on the new HD.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
If you don't have the original install media, you can't get iLife. You'll have to purchase iLife and iWork separately once you get it reinstalled.

OP
G
Reaction score
I have the original Leopard DVD (CPU drop in DVD) that came with Mac Pro purchased just after Leopard was released. Can I use this as a starting point for the new HD install and then apply the Snow Leopard Upeate so that I have iWork, ILife and OS?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I have the original Leopard DVD (CPU drop in DVD) that came with Mac Pro purchased just after Leopard was released. Can I use this as a starting point for the new HD install and then apply the Snow Leopard Upeate so that I have iWork, ILife and OS?

No, because the drop in Leopard DVD will not work with the iMac since it's specific for the Mac Pro. You really should buy the Snow Leopard boxed version from Apple or you may still be able to find copies for sale on Amazon.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
No, because the drop in Leopard DVD will not work with the iMac since it's specific for the Mac Pro. You really should buy the Snow Leopard boxed version from Apple or you may still be able to find copies for sale on Amazon.

Yes and No. The drop in disk is not CPU specific. But it is an upgrade disk. It only works if there is already an OS X installed on the system.

You may be able to find a Snow Leopard Box Set which includes Snow Leopard, iLife and iWork. This may be your best bet.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Yes and No. The drop in disk is not CPU specific. But it is an upgrade disk. It only works if there is already an OS X installed on the system.

I didn't know that. Thought it had to matched with the original install media. Thanks...

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.