Forgot Mac Master Password

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro 2011 running OS X 10.6.8. I had created a Mac Master Password. I have not encrypted my home folder using FileVault. When i tried to activate FileVault i found out that i have forgotten my Mac Master Password.I had not saved my Mac Master Password in my keychain. I still know my login password and have full access to my Mac.
The OS X disk that came with my Mac has OS X 10.6.7 on it.

Can anyone please tell me how to recover or reset my Mac Master Password ?

vmohanty

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Hi,

I have a Macbook Pro 2011 running OS X 10.6.8. I had created a Mac Master Password. I have not encrypted my home folder using FileVault. When i tried to activate FileVault i found out that i have forgotten my Mac Master Password.I had not saved my Mac Master Password in my keychain. I still know my login password and have full access to my Mac.
The OS X disk that came with my Mac has OS X 10.6.7 on it.

Can anyone please tell me how to recover or reset my Mac Master Password ?

vmohanty

I suspect you will probably have to do a reformat and fresh install of the OS . . . but, honestly, this has in my opinion (and many others on this site) saved you from a serious error. Unless you have a drastic need for it you should avoid like the plague using FileVault to encrypt your Home Folder.

If you choose to do so, make sure you have and keep current a backup. Catastropic unrecoverable data loss is all too common a problem with FileVault.

FWIW, Apple seems to have improved FileVault2 (available with Lion). So, if you absolutely must and your hardware will support it, I would upgrade to Lion OS X 10.7 and use FileVault2 instead.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks

Thanks..

I am waiting for Mountain Lion to come out. My hardware will support it.

C

chas_m

You cannot recover your Mac Master Password. Apple repeatedly warns you about this very possibility when setting up FileVault. Neither Apple nor anyone else can help you with that one.

Imagine where you'd be right now if you HAD set up Filevault and then forgotten the password!!

OP
V
Reaction score
Yeah! Now i know.

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

Oh! Any ideas when Mountain Lion is coming?

RavingMac

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
16Gb Mac Mini 2018, 15" MacBook Pro 2012 1 TB SSD
Yeah! Now i know.

Thanks for the help everyone. :)

Oh! Any ideas when Mountain Lion is coming?

The real answer is no one knows outside of Apple, but I guess that end of summer early fall wouldn't be unreasonable forecast.

Honestly, at only $29 to download why not go with Lion? It has several updates behind it now which means more stable and most of the features in Mountain Lion are already in Lion.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.