Thinking of purchasing iMac G5

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Hey guys,

So I was watching the apple special event a few weeks back and saw Steve present the new iMac G5, WOW! - I want one! lol, and because i'm a student I can get one a little cheaper.

Just a few questions though before I start saving;

I am an Interactive Multimedia student and so do a lot of work on Photoshop, Director, Flash, Dreamweaver etc. The iMac I would get would be the standard package but with 1GB RAM instead of 512MB.

Will the iMac be a good little machine for my needs? Ideally I would go power Mac as that’s what we use in our studio, but I can't afford one of those :(

And finally, those of you lucky enough to already own a new iMac, how good are they??? What’s front row like??? - come on, spill the dirt on em! I need to know lol.

Kind Regards,

Chris. ;)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook 1.33 Ghz, 768 RAM
The iMac G5 with 1GB RAM would do what you want with ease.
Hope this helps
Paul

L

Lorelei

The one I just ordered (see a thread below) I got upped to 1gig and going nothing else upgraded.

I also use Dreamweaver etc but it hasn't arrived yet but seriously it will be fine. :)

Happy Maccing!

L

lil

It will fly along, not forgetting the wonderful screen you will have to do all of that editing.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
I read that they low end model 1.9ghz has 512, all the other models are doing 1gig standard..... Pretty bad***** if you ask me. but has plenty of room with the standard 160gig hdd.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
lil said:
It will fly along, not forgetting the wonderful screen you will have to do all of that editing.

Vicky
When I was in the Apple Store near me looking at the new iMacs the screens seamed like they had a red tint to them, nothing like the normal apple screens or the PBs

BTW Mr. Chris you'll love your iMac.

L

lil

I have never noticed that myself, maybe it was the light from above shining on the LCD.

Generally red/pinkish tinges indicate an inverter issue... That said, I am basing my opinion on the pre-FrontRow iMac G5s. The 20" iMac has a stunning 170 degree viewing angle, just like the cinema display.

Sometimes bright spotlights on LCDs can give a red tinge...

That said, when I have the room and money, I have decided on getting a widescreen CRT instead of a TFT on the basis of richer colour reproduction.

Vicky :flower:

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" MacBook Pro
lil said:
That said, I am basing my opinion on the pre-FrontRow iMac G5s. The 20" iMac has a stunning 170 degree viewing angle, just like the cinema display.
Thats probably why you didn't notice it. I think the 20" iMacs have the same screen in them as the Cinema screen. I was looking at a 17" model

L

lil

Heh, OK :flower: But; I did sell 17" iMacs all the time; pre-FrontRow ones and never once did I see one with a red tinge.

Like I say I cannot comment on the current ones.

Vicky

OP
MrChris
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac | iPhone 4
Thanks for the info guys,

I have decided, i am going to save up for the following iMac:

* 1GB 533 DDR2 SDRAM - 2x512MB
* 160GB Serial ATA drive
* Keyboard & Mighty Mouse + Mac OS X

* 17-inch TFT display
* 1.9GHz PowerPC G5
* DVD±RW/CD-RW drive double layer
* ATI Radeon X600 Pro - 128MB DDR
* AirPort Extreme
* Bluetooth 2.0 + EDR

The only thing that sucks now is the fact that i have to save up for it lol!

Thanks again,

Chris. ;)

B

blamb327

I just got the new 17" iMac G5 w/ iSight and I really do love it. I got mine with 1.5 GB or RAM. It handles all my needs (runs 2 copies of World of Warcraft simultaneously) and more! I am very impressed. I just came over from PC land and won't go back!

You won't regret this purchase!

-Brian

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Colorware PowerBook 1.67 GHz G4, 2 GB DDR2, 100GB 7200 RPM
You may want to seriously consider getting a used 2.0 17" without FrontRow instead. Faster processor, and significantly cheaper. From what I've seen you could even get one with 2 GB memory cheaper than the standard 512 on the new models. Unfortunately you would lose the DDR2. I personally would not care about the iSight, and wouldn't even WANT FrontRow, though.

PS. Why are you running 2 copies of WoW simultaneously?

B

blamb327

Meyvn said:
PS. Why are you running 2 copies of WoW simultaneously?

Haha why not? I have multiple accounts and like having the ability to have one character in a Battlegrouns queue while the other one is out adventuring.

=)

M

mlc331

I did exactly what Meyvn said. I opted for the pre "Front Row" 20in Imac with the faster processor. I installed my own ram for 65.00 out the door.

As a side note, what a wonder of technology under the hood. I can't say how impressive it really is.

The screen is simply a work of art and unlike anything that I've seen before. I think to get a screen this good for my PC, I'd have to spend upwards of $600 - $800. Until it's sitting in your house and running pics.... you'll never truely understand.

I got my IMac G5 20 at the apple store for 1249.00 after the teacher/student discount. also got Apple care for $100 after the discount was applied. I thought it was a rippen deal.

Good luck

T

tnflyboy

mlc331 said:
I did exactly what Meyvn said. I opted for the pre "Front Row" 20in Imac with the faster processor. I installed my own ram for 65.00 out the door.

As a side note, what a wonder of technology under the hood. I can't say how impressive it really is.

The screen is simply a work of art and unlike anything that I've seen before. I think to get a screen this good for my PC, I'd have to spend upwards of $600 - $800. Until it's sitting in your house and running pics.... you'll never truely understand.

I got my IMac G5 20 at the apple store for 1249.00 after the teacher/student discount. also got Apple care for $100 after the discount was applied. I thought it was a rippen deal.

Good luck

holy crap, that's a **** of a deal, the 20" at my school is all the way up at 1599, what school to you goto?

M

mlc331

My wife is a teacher and I work for the gov. yea, I thought it was a smokin deal as well. Had to jump on it when I did, or it was out the door. Fairly happy with it so far, however I'm struggling with the Safari right now. Dealing with the favorite bar seems much more difficult on the Mac. Then again, I main not know the trick. The favorite bar on my PC is super simple.

Good luck with your purchase.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iBook
its not the school price, but go to the online apple store and at the bottom there is a list to select your store from.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.