I need a new g5 dvd burner

Reaction score
Hi,
I need a new dvd burner for my G5 PowerMac OS 10.5.8
I had a Sony DW Q28A in it, but it isn't burning well any more.
I can't find this particular burner anymore- please help me know what to get.
I can put it in myself, and really don't want to buy a whole new mac just because the DVD burner is broken. I've tried off brand external brands but they don't burn straight from Mac software such as "DVD Studio Pro."
Thank you in advance for any help you can give...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
My pleasure red. When you get the drive prior to installing remove the front lip from the tray and this will ensure door closes properly and keeps out excess dust.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
CDROM drives are a "commodity." Your Mac will recognize and use just about any brand (I haven't found one that doesn't work - I have an LG brand in my Mac). So, you just need to make sure about the type of connection - ATAPI/IDE or SATA, then you can buy one at any store that carries CDROM drives. They sell for US$20-30 at stores in my neighborhood.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thank you for the extra tips Harry- we have ordered the one you suggested, along with a used one like we had before- one of them should do the trick!

gsahli: As for the LG external drives- we tried two of those, and the Mac recognizes them, but we couldn't figure out how to burn from DVD Studio Pro, because the file extension is .dspproj in that software- and the drive just gave errors when we tried to burn those- it wouldn't recognize that extension. Videos produced out of DVD Studio Pro are the main items we burn on that computer-
So, maybe I just need to figure out how to change it to a more common video format to use those.....

Thank you for all the suggestions!!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
The problem with externals is PowerPC machines, with some iMac G5 exceptions, will not boot from USB connections, and Firewire are many times dearer.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.