Copying files to external drive - and keeping order

Reaction score
Hey guys, quick question:

Is there a tool, or a way to copy several files from my Mac to a external HD, while preserving the order of the files? I ask this because I'm trying to match the alphabetical order of the files in my Mac, with the File Allocation Table.

My HDD will be used on a Philips TV, and the files are mostly MKV and AVI files. But since this TV is dumb, it shows the order of the files as they were copied, hence I need to copy the files in the same order as they show in the Mac.

Thanks in advance! :)

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I don't think that there is a way to do this during the copy process and guarantee the order the are placed on the drive. Try the following and see if this works:

1. Since the files are in the correct order on your Mac open a window and get the files in the right order.

2. Right click in the window and check to see how the files are set to appear name, creation date, whatever.

3.Copy some files to the external drive

4. Open a window for the external drive and make sure that window's settings are the same as the window you were copying from. Close the window on the external drive and eject the disk.

This is something of a shot in the card so it may not work.

OP
K
Reaction score
I don't think that there is a way to do this during the copy process and guarantee the order the are placed on the drive. Try the following and see if this works:

1. Since the files are in the correct order on your Mac open a window and get the files in the right order.

2. Right click in the window and check to see how the files are set to appear name, creation date, whatever.

3.Copy some files to the external drive

4. Open a window for the external drive and make sure that window's settings are the same as the window you were copying from. Close the window on the external drive and eject the disk.

This is something of a shot in the card so it may not work.

Thanks for the reply!

So far I found that the only way to do this is to CMD and click the files in the order, copy and then paste on the HDD. But since I'm dealing with somewhat close to 700 files, sorted in various folders, selecting them, is possible, but a pain.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.