Time Machine - Slow Initial Back Up

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought a WD My Book Essential 2TB hard drive with the purpose of partitioning it and using a portion for Time Machine and a portion for media storage. This is my first time using Time Machine and have found it extremely frustrating. I am backing up my internal drive that is 120GB but currently using about 112GB, it is a MacBook Pro from 2007. Let me start with this timeline.

Last night I formated the hard drive but forgot to do 2 partitions. I started backing up using Time Machine and left it on over night. After 12 hours of backing up it had only gone 17GB out of 112GB. I was disappointed in this and also realized that I had failed to do the 2 partition set up. So I re-partitioned it (and lost that saved data) and started searching the net for solutions to speed up the back up.

I found that turning off virus scanning software helps, but alas, I do not have any virus software. So that wasn't it.

Then I found that disabling spotlight can speed up the process, so I disabled spotlight while I used TM to back up.

I also read somewhere that turning off airport could help, so I did that as well.

Well, when I started the back up again, I left the room for about 20 minutes to come back and find that it had only backed up 128MB! I don't understand how it can be moving so slow. Can anyone give me advice on how to truly speed this along?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.