iMac 24" Freezing on boot from USB

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could provide a little bit of help and advice with a used 24" iMac "Core 2 Duo" 3.06 (Early 2008) I bought recently.

The computer had no hard drive so I fitted a Samsung drive that had previously been used in a PC. if I try to power up from the HDD it asks about a Windows installation that hasn't shut down properly, crashes and restarts, in a loop. This isn't really surprising because I literally took it out of my PC and plugged it into the iMac as I was hoping to reformat the drive.

My plan was to boot OSX Snow Leopard from a USB flash drive. When I try this I get the Apple logo and the spinning icon, but then that will just freeze and I can't restart or switch off the system unless I unplug the power cord.

Does any of this sound familiar? Little bit vague at this stage, but does anyone have any suggestions as to where I could be having a problem?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Main-11" Air, iPhone 6+, iPad Mini 3, Hi-Fi Extras- Too many to count
Do you have another Mac and a FireWire cable that you can use?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
How were you booting from the USB drive? Better yet, how did you create the USB boot drive and what from?

Do you have access to the original restore media?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.