MacBook - to upgrade or not to upgrade

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a 4 year old white macbook. I upgraded the ram about a year ago and it's running really well.

I'm considering upgrading the hard drive to a 500 gig model as I've completely run out of space, however, I'm wondering whether this is worth it give the age of the machine?

Does anyone have any experience with these machines? Is my computer approaching the end of its life and should I just save my cash and upgrade when it finally fails?

Thanks,

Tony

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm considering upgrading the hard drive to a 500 gig model as I've completely run out of space, however, I'm wondering whether this is worth it give the age of the machine?

Hard drives aren't that expensive. If you can do the install yourself...then it's probably worth it.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I have a 2009 MacBook and still love it. By all means put a 500 GB drive in it, even if you end up getting a newer machine at some time you can always keep the upgraded 500 GB disk and sell it on with the original hard disk installed back in

Reaction score
You might want to think about getting an external drive and moving some of the files off your Mac HDD to free up some space instead of investing any more money into that system.
That way if the one you have now starts to fail you can use
that External on your next system when you get one.

That is unless the drive in your present system is already failing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.