I dropped my Iphone in my beer....

Reaction score
Okay, so last night I dropped my iphone 4 in my beer...embarrassing I know.
It stopped working immediately - I'm not sure how long it was in there...long story.
Anyways, when I got home I put it in some rice and went to bed and looked at it in the morning and it still wasnt working and wouldn't charge or anything.
I have put it back in the rice and am thinking I will leave it for 3 days.
Is there anything else I can do and is there any chance that this will actually work?!

C

chas_m

If it was on at the time it hit the beer, I doubt there's anything you can do to save it.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Agree with chas_m and it is more than drunk.

Very potent stuff beer and kills electronics.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Never drink and dial.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
The rice may absorb the moisture but all the impurities will be left behind to eat away at the components.

You could try briefly immersing it in Isopropyl alcohol then allowing it to dry out but I wouldn't expect miracles.

Personally I'd take it to an Apple store and pay the flay fee to exchange it for a reconditioned iPhone

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
Was the beer still OK?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Aluminium running at 2.4 GHz.
There are 2 kinds of people on Planet Earth. Those who deserve things like iPhones, iPads, laptops etc, and those who don't. Those who do look after them. They very rarely drop them and if they do, they have a protective guard on them so the goods usually survive. Those folk that deserve such things also very rarely hold them dangling above a jug of beer because, speaking honestly here, there is not a single logical reason for doing it. Nor do they leave things lying on a bar top where their "friends" can abuse them when they go to the head.
All folk need to do is decide which type of person they are and either buy another iPhone or stick to crayons in future.

Cheers,
Steve

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 17" 2011, 2.3GHz Intel Quad-Core i7, 8GB RAM, MacMini 2011, 2.7GHz Intel Dual-Core i7, 8GB RAM
There are 2 kinds of people on Planet Earth. Those who deserve things like iPhones, iPads, laptops etc, and those who don't. Those who do look after them. They very rarely drop them and if they do, they have a protective guard on them so the goods usually survive. Those folk that deserve such things also very rarely hold them dangling above a jug of beer because, speaking honestly here, there is not a single logical reason for doing it. Nor do they leave things lying on a bar top where their "friends" can abuse them when they go to the head.
All folk need to do is decide which type of person they are and either buy another iPhone or stick to crayons in future.

Cheers,
Steve

This hit my funny bone.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Was the beer still OK?

Now that is what I consider a fundamental question and moreover .... was it Belgian beer ?

Cheers ... McBie

OP
G
Reaction score
Now there is no need to be rude! This was a ridiculous mistake made by a university student. It's actually a ridiculous story, I did not leave my phone on a table for my friends to destroy. The beer was fine. :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
You can attempt to dissemble it, and clean each part is rubbing alcohol, but it's not an easy task and you are very likely to damage the small parts. But given the fact that it was running and you don't know how long it was in the beer, there is a good chance it still won't work.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The unknown amount of time submerged in the beer is certainly a VERY important parameter.

Since damage in this situation can occur in milliseconds...3-5 seconds in the beer (for example)...would be like "eons" from the iPhones perspective!

And if it was longer than that...well...not so good!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.