Apple TV connected to Zeplin Speakers

Reaction score
I have connected my apple TV to my Zeppelin Speakers using the fiber optic port on the apple TV.

When playing music it sounds great, however when playing iTunes movies the soundtrack is just static.

Why can I not play movie soundtracks via the fiber optic outlet of the apple TV, are the movie soundtracks not digital or am I doing something wrong.

Please help

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Air M1 2020 Ventura 13.4.1 500Gb 8Gb. iPhone12, Watch 5, HomePods.
Hi,

When you say that the soundtrack is 'static' what do you mean, because you can't achieve multi-channel audio on a stereo set-up ?

Try turning the Dolby Digital Out off in the ATV settings.

OP
B
Reaction score
When I say static I mean just noise like the sound SSSSSSSSSSS. The audio works perfectly for TV shows, movie trailers and music downloads but not for any of my downloaded movies.

Where are the ATV settings? and where do I find them.

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
I think pendlewitch is right. Your speakers aren't capable of decoding 5.1 audio.

AppleTV settings are on the main menu screen that you're on when you first power up. Move all the way to the right. Settings is on the same menu as sleep

OP
B
Reaction score
Wow, Pendlewitch you are right. Soundtrack to movies are working perfectly. Can you please explain what 5.1 Audio is and what I am missing out by not being able to decode it.

Will this have any effect on the sound quality of the music.

Thanks a mill.

Antony

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Wow, Pendlewitch you are right. Soundtrack to movies are working perfectly. Can you please explain what 5.1 Audio is and what I am missing out by not being able to decode it.

Will this have any effect on the sound quality of the music.

Thanks a mill.

Antony

Yay..that's great news.

Well it could take me a long time for that but in a nutshell, your speaker box (which I'm assuming is a standard Zeppelin has 3 speakers in it... 1 left channel, 1 right channel and one for Bass. It is standard stereo output with extra Bass basically and the speakers and ports are arranged to give the effect of a more enveloping sound rather than just straight forward stereo L & R because you can't get the defined separation that you would in a standard 2 speaker audio set-up, where you would have a normal listening position and the speakers arranged up front.

5.1 is pretty much synonymous with Ray Dolby of Dolby Labs who pioneered first Dolby Noise Reduction and then moved onto develop surround sound for movies. In this set-up (and there are others) there are 6 speakers: Front L&R , a centre (speech), 2 Sides or surrounds and one sub-woofer (Bass, ground shaking and rumbling etc).

Although your ATV can stream the 5.1 signal on your soundtracks, the equipment that you have is not capable of decoding it into anything meaningful, hence the SSSSSSS. It won't have any effect on the sound quality as such, it's just that you won't get the surround separation and enhanced listening.

Hope that helps. I've not gone over-technical because I'd probably confuse myself!;)

Hope this helps.

OP
B
Reaction score
Absolutely perfect, I do have the Standard Zeppelin, second edition with air play. I now understand. 5.1 is for 6 speaker surround systems, which I am not interested in installing.

The Zeppelin 3 speaker system is enough for me and my wallet.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Absolutely perfect, I do have the Standard Zeppelin, second edition with air play. I now understand. 5.1 is for 6 speaker surround systems, which I am not interested in installing.

The Zeppelin 3 speaker system is enough for me and my wallet.

Thanks again.

Glad to be of help berrill.
The Zeppelins look great. I would experiment with them against a wall or in a corner because you'll get more bang from those rear-firing ports.;)

OP
B
Reaction score
Pendlewitch, you so right. For a small set of speakers its perfect for me. Cheers

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.