Excel for Mac and Excel for Windows

Reaction score
Thinking of taking up a night class course in accountancy, just wondering if excel for Mac is 100% compatible with the windows version?

What I'm concerned about is submitting assignments and there being bugs in the formulas when opened on a windows PC.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Excel for the Mac (Office 2011) is fully compatible with Excel for Windows. However, if you're taking an accounting class where you need Excel, I would use the Windows version because the Mac version does not support all the add ins that the Windows version does.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
In other words, about 98%

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac OS X 10.11.5; iPad2 (8.1.2-12B440); New iPad; MS-Office for Mac 2011 (14.5.5)
Hello!
I have an issue for a long time with Excel for Mac2011: When copying a cell or a range, I get prompted at the bottom to "Press Enter" or "choose Paste". I do not know why, but a simple Enter does not work...! With "choosing Paste" or "Command V" it is an easy way to solve the problem, but now I have to enter/copy an Array Formula; and I have to press "Command + Shift + Enter" and nothing happens...! How can I write an Array Formula?
Thank you for your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
Hello!
I have an issue for a long time with Excel for Mac2011: When copying a cell or a range, I get prompted at the bottom to "Press Enter" or "choose Paste". I do not know why, but a simple Enter does not work...! With "choosing Paste" or "Command V" it is an easy way to solve the problem, but now I have to enter/copy an Array Formula; and I have to press "Command + Shift + Enter" and nothing happens...! How can I write an Array Formula?
Thank you for your help.

Better to start your own thread with a Topic specific to your question. But...
Please explain exactly when this happens. You say 'when copying" but I suspect it's when pasting. What key stroke or menu selection precedes the prompt showing up? Give your step by step procedure please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
Excel for the Mac (Office 2011) is fully compatible with Excel for Windows. However, if you're taking an accounting class where you need Excel, I would use the Windows version because the Mac version does not support all the add ins that the Windows version does.

That is so true.
Files are 100% compatible between the 2 OS's ( I have used that feature for years ) but the OS X version does not have all the bells and whistles that the Windows version has.
Also, there are some very nice analytics tools for Excel that you can plug into the windows version , but not in the OS X version.
Formulas are fine between the 2 .... it is just that the windows version has a lot more useful features to make life easy.
I will be checking out what the 2016 version for OS X will bring.

Cheers ... McBie

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.