Difficulty Mounting USB devices

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and while I saw similar queries, I haven't found any answer. Recently, I was transferring data onto a flash drive when the transfer crashed. I took out the flash drive, but when I inserted it again, it didn't mount. I tried with other flash drives and am having the same problem. When I plug in my iPhone, it is 'noticed' and accessible through iTunes and iPhoto, but like any other device I plug into the USB drive doesn't mount and is not accessible through finder. Devices that don't prompt any specific program are recognized in the 'system information' but completely inaccessible in terms of adding/copying data.

Flash drives I attach are recognized in 'System Information' but not in 'Disk Utility' - so it's not a question of simply remounting them. I've Verified/Repaired both my hard disk and hard disk permission, but it's not helping. Does anyone have any suggestions of how to fix this?

Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try resetting the PRAM first. See this Apple KB LINK.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Have you Re-Booted the computer lately?

If not give that a try first.

The machine will reboot if he resets the PRAM as was advised above.

Reaction score
The machine will reboot if he resets the PRAM as was advised above.

Well yes as that is the only way to reset PRAM. Can't do that while you are booted into the OS.

My suggestion was to Reboot first to see if it cleared up their problem.

Not sure why that was hard to understand.

Apple only suggests resetting PRAM for certain problems which are listed on the page you linked to.

Whether it should be done on a regular or irregular basis I don't know. I've never had to do it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.