Macbook Pro only works in Safemode

Reaction score
Hey there,

I have a macbook pro running OSX 10.6.8 on a 2.66 intel core 2 with 4gb ram.

I've had it for about a year, and had very few problems, always minor and fixed with a reboot, until this morning.

I went to start up this morning, and it took longer than usual. When i started typing, it lagged pretty heavy, and even plugged in keys i didn't press. (a 4 would pop up every time i hit r, stuff like that). the mouse lagged as it moved across the screen.

When i shut down the computer, it restarted itself without any prompt. The only way i could get it to shut down permanently was to force it.

I opened it up in safe mode and it works fine. No hardware issues with typing, it works at a good speed, seems normal. When i got back to regular mode however it gets all messed up again.

Any ideas or things i could try? Thanks

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The fact that it runs well in Safe Mode indicates that there may be a problem with software or a driver when it's booted to normal mode. Safe mode disables most drivers including sound.

What have you installed lately or what changes have you made to your system, if any? Updates? Also, if you have any devices attached to the machine, remove them to see if speed improves.

OP
N
Reaction score
Nothing attached right now, just the power cord.
I can't think of anything i installed recently, and the problem cropped up suddenly: it was working last night, started being difficult this morning.

What can i do (whether in safe mode or in regular mode) to try and figure out what the problem is? Is there any sort of scan, or diagnostic i can use to identify the issue?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Try running the Apple Hardware Test to see if it picks anything up. Here is the LINK to learn how.

Whenever you're booted to Safe mode, the system does an automatic verify on the hard drive. It's possible the drive has errors which the hardware test should spot. Let us know.

OP
N
Reaction score
Okay i ran the hardware test. I did the short one, not the extended one.

It came back with this error code:

4SNS/1/C0000008: TsOP-- 124

This is total gibberish to me (not totally computer inclined). Hopefully it isn't too awful of news.

Thanks a lot, for your guys' help.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I found this LINK on the Apple support forums. It looks like that code is indicating a temperature sensor error.

Do you have the Apple care extended warranty for your MBP? If you do, make an appointment with your local Apple store and have them check it out.

Also, like the reply says in the link, you probably should run the test again to see if it comes up with the same thing. Maybe even run the extended test if you have the time.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.