Office for Mac 2004 on Macbook Pro won't open

Reaction score
I have a Macbook Pro OSX 10.6 version with Microsoft Office for Macs 2004 on it.
Suddenly I cannot open Word or any of the other Office programs. I get a message that
says Microsoft quit unexpectedly Click reopen to open application again This report will be sent to Apple automatically. A report comes back but nothing I can understand. I've been told I need to reinstall Office for Macs but I cannot find the disk. Help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
G'day and welcome to the forums.

Without the install CD your goose is somewhat cooked, as it were. Might well be time to move on to Office 2011, it is a much better program.

Reaction score
Having the disk doesn't help

I have been getting the same message trying to open any Microsoft office app. I do have the 2004 MS Office install disk and it still doesn't work even after I uninstalled it using MacKeeper and then copied the programs back onto my hard drive from the install disk. In fact I even got the message just trying to open "office setup assistant" from the disk.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Without further information, it's very difficult for us to assist you. What version of OS X are you running? The reason we need that info is because there was an update that disabled Rosetta which is needed to run Office 2004 in Snow Leopard. Apple posted a fix which took care of the problem. Perhaps this applies to you?

Also, a bit of advice. Remove MacKeeper as it causes more problems than it fixes. You can do a search in our forums to learn about MacKeeper.

Reaction score
Os x 10.6.8

Thank you chscag for your reply! I have Mac OS X Version 10.6.8 Hoping you'll have a solution. Thanks also for the tip about MacKeeper.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Go to this LINK and look about halfway down the page. There's a link on the page to download the fix from Apple. Also be sure to read the information. Downloading the fix from Apple will restore your Office 2004 to working again.

Reaction score
Still not working

Well, I installed the latest software update 1.1 as mentioned in the link, and downloaded & installed the RosettaFix Patch from the link. Then using the Disk Utility, I ran disk permissions on both the "500.28..." media as well as the "Macintosh HD" underneath it, just in case. I restarted and tried to open Microsoft Word as well as Excel and no luck. I tried a couple more times- installing the patch, restarting just in case, running disk permissions, restarting again, then trying to open any MS office program. Still the same problem :'( Not sure why the patch isn't working for me.

I've attached a photo of the error message. Sounds like I will need to revert back using time machine, which would be a pain because I'm not sure what files I need that I wouldn't have from a month or so ago. Of course there is always purchasing the new updated software, but I doubt that I'm alone in that I don't like being told what to do & when to do it without warning

I really do appreciate your help on this. Maybe there is a solution yet?

Word Problem.png

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.