Imac and Panther? round 2

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
macbook pro: 2.16 ghz intel core duo, 256 mb video ram, 2 gb ram, 120 gb hd.
Ok,

So I got Mac os 9.2.2 on cd-rom, and was going to install it on my Imac G3 bondi blue so I could get the firmware update and run panther. Problem is that I am having the same problem with 9.2.2 as I was with 10.3. After 9.1.2 was done installing it gave me the option to install more software, so I chose "continue" in order to put it to 9.2.2. But when I go and change the startup disk to my hd, it still is using the cd to start up. I know this because when it restarts there is a little folder that comes up in the middle of the screen that flashes a ? mark and then the mac os face, alternating them. Also, it says that the virtual memory is turned off and I was wondering how to turn it on, if that might be the problem? I upgraded the cpu to a 333 instead of the 233, put an 80 GB western digital hd in it, put more video ram and also put two 128 sticks of ram in it. HELP please, I am beginning to lose hope. Any comments on how to get 9 successfully installed on my imac will be GREEAAATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
"Scatman"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
sounds like a convoluted OS 9 cd to be installing and updating all in one shot.

when booted to the cd run disk first aid and initialize the disk. I thnk there is an option to "zero all data". them when install the OS select customize and select just the basics to get the OS installed.

that would be my next step

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
im still new to macs, but is that hdd giving you the problem. im pretty sure they are compatable. what are the jumpers on the hdd set to?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Check out www.lowendmac.com. Look up the iMac Rev A-D iMacs. On the older iMacs with a large hard drive like you installed, you have to make the first BOOT Partition 8GB or slightly less or the machine will not boot. You can find all the info on Low End Mac, but that is almost for sure what is going on.

If you need more help let us know.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Tried Partitioning

I tried partitioning like the article said when I tried installing mac OS X 10.3 and that did nothing. I haven't tried it with 9, but doubt that it will work. I am beginning to wonder if my HD is compatible. It is a Western Digital 80 GB model number WD800JB. Here is the link to it. I am thinking about taking it to another computer store and just having them fix it.

"Scatman"

B

Badger

This site covers every step and issue in upgrading the tray-loading iMacs: http://www.djonmac.com/index.html. Note that the jumpers on the HDD need to be set to master or cable-select. If they are set to slave the HDD will not be recognized as a start-up device. Check the drive that you removed and set the new one the same way.

OP
S
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks to all that replied!! I sucessfully booted into mac os 9 from the HD, and am now installing panther and am on the second installation disk. I am pretty sure that the proble was the jumpers. I moved the little shunt? or w/e it is to the MA slot on my Western Digital. It could have been the volume thing though too, but don't believe it was as I tried this when I first tried to install Panther. Thanks A LOT, now all I have to do is learn how to run Mac, as I am a windows user and wanted to try something new.

:mac:

"Scatman"

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Great to hear you got it up and running.

Badger, that is an excellent site. I have been there a few times in the past but forgot it existed.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacbookPro 15.4, 2.2ghz i7 (Late 2011), Macbook 1,1 1.83ghz CoreDuo
woot woot! Congrats!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.