Considering Upgrading MacBook Pro Memory

Reaction score
I'm considering upgrading the memory in my mid-2010 15" macbook pro from 4 GB to 8 or 16 GB (if possible). My current set is as follows: memory is a 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, and processor is a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5. Here's my questions:

1) Can I upgrade my memory to 8 or 16 GB?
2) If I can, should I only be looking for DDR3 units?
3) When I'm looking at memory like 16 GB, i see options like 4x4 GB or 2x8 GB. What are the differences here? Pros/Cons? Etc.

Thanks!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2011 2.4GHZ 4GB Ram 500GB HD
1. Yes apple says 8 gb max but mactracker (Always accurate)

2. Scan your macbook with crucial.com for the exact and compatible memory units

3. There is no noticeable difference, either work

Just a question, what programs are you using that would require such large amounts ram? 8gb should be sufficient for anything

OP
R
Reaction score
1. Yes apple says 8 gb max but mactracker (Always accurate)

2. Scan your macbook with crucial.com for the exact and compatible memory units

3. There is no noticeable difference, either work

Just a question, what programs are you using that would require such large amounts ram? 8gb should be sufficient for anything

Thanks for the reply MacAddict. Photo/video editing. It's something I've been getting into a lot recently. I'd like to have enough for now and a couple years down the road.

Reaction score
Well if it can take 16GB and you really need that much RAM then that is what you should get.
But 16GB is like 4-5 times more expensive then 8GB. 8 for $50+/- 16 for $220++.

To see if you need 16GBs run Activity Monitor while you are editing videos and watch the Page ins and Page outs and what Swap used amount is.

If the Page outs are high and you Swap used is high then maybe, and I do mean MayBe, 16GBs would be better.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well if it can take 16GB and you really need that much RAM then that is what you should get.
But 16GB is like 4-5 times more expensive then 8GB. 8 for $50+/- 16 for $220++.

To see if you need 16GBs run Activity Monitor while you are editing videos and watch the Page ins and Page outs and what Swap used amount is.

If the Page outs are high and you Swap used is high then maybe, and I do mean MayBe, 16GBs would be better.

I don't think 16 GB is compatible with my current setup. According to the crucial.com analyzer, the max memory I can run is 8 GB, which I think is more than sufficient. And for about $45, that's not bad...

Here's the specs I came away with:

Memory Type: DDR3 PC3-8500, DDR3 (non-ECC)
Maximum Memory: 8GB
Currently Installed Memory: 4GB
Total Memory Slots: 2
Available Memory Slots: 0

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 120GB SSD, 500GB HD
I'm considering upgrading the memory in my mid-2010 15" macbook pro from 4 GB to 8 or 16 GB (if possible). My current set is as follows: memory is a 4 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, and processor is a 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5. Here's my questions:

1) Can I upgrade my memory to 8 or 16 GB?
2) If I can, should I only be looking for DDR3 units?
3) When I'm looking at memory like 16 GB, i see options like 4x4 GB or 2x8 GB. What are the differences here? Pros/Cons? Etc.

Thanks!

Re number 3: you need the 2x8GB option, you only have 2 RAM slots, so there is no physical way to use 4x4GB RAM chips.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.