iMac keeps randomly waking up?

Reaction score
Hello,

I leave my wife's iMac on Sleep all the time.
However, I've noticed lately that it'll randomly wake itself from sleep (for no apparent reason). I go to the iMac and see if there is any pop-up or activity going on on the screen, but nothing.

Anybody else having this problem, or know of why this might happen (and how to fix it)?

Thanks,

Justin

C

chas_m

Yes. Here you go:

Note that the "lock" needs to be unlocked using your admin password to make changes FIRST. Then UNcheck the box that says "wake on Ethernet." Done.

OP
J
Reaction score
Yes. Here you go:

Note that the "lock" needs to be unlocked using your admin password to make changes FIRST. Then UNcheck the box that says "wake on Ethernet." Done.

Just looked into this solution and that "Ethernet" box IS already unchecked.
Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

J.

OP
J
Reaction score
It seems to be getting worse.

It woke itself up last night and so I decided to see if maybe turning off WiFi would change anything....Nope...it woke itself up 4 more times in the span of an hour.

ANY ideas as to what is going on?
I've never seen anything like this on any of my Macs.

Thanks,

Justin

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It could be several things:

1. Background activity. Use your activity monitor to check and also take a look at your activity logs to see what was going on when it woke up.

2. Since it's an iMac, it's susceptible to AC line hits (power glitches) which will also wake it up. I use an UPS with my iMac which provides backup power in the event of a power failure. It also helps to smooth out any line variations that may occur.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.