Possible Malware Problem

Reaction score
Hi,

Forgive me if this is not posted in the correct area. My friend has a Mac and is getting the attached error. I think it is probably malware but cannot find any info on it. She keeps clicking Cancel but every time she shuts down it pops up.

I was going to tell my friend to go into Activity Monitor in the Utilities folder of the Applications folder, choose All Processes from the drop-down menu. Look for the name of the app in the Process Name column and click to select it. Click the Quit Process button in the top left of Activity Monitor, and select Quit from the resulting menu. Then you can quit Activity Monitor, go to your Applications folder, find the offending app, and drag it to the trash.

But I don't know if this will do the trick of getting rid of it or not. Any other advice you can give me?

Thanks!

DSC_0086.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPad Pro 12.9 latest iOS
It would help if you provided us with the version of the OS your friend using and what application is causing this popup ( if it is advertised in the top left hand corner )

Cheers ... McBie

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
From the looks of the menu bar, it's a browser (there's a bookmarks menu option).

That looks like a Skype contact request. Does she happen to use Skype?

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks guys. Let me find the answers to your questions and I will post back.

C

chas_m

Yes, that's definitely a Skype contact request. Your friend needs to set her Skype privacy settings so that random strangers cannot send contact requests.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yep that was it. She had to change her privacy settings to...

Skype” > “Preferences” > “Privacy”. Check the box next to the option “Only people whom I have authorized”.

Thanks everyone!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.