changing hard drive on MacBook Pro

Reaction score
I am getting ready to install a new Seagate Momentus hybrid drive in my 2009 MacBook Pro. I have read some of the other threads on how to do this with Carbon copy and cloning the drive. I am nervous about doing this, and just want to relay my exact configurations and see if there is anything else I need to do before starting.

I have OS X Lion 10.7.3 installed on my current drive, along with Parallels and Windows 7. I have 2.26 ghz intel core 2 duo processor with 4 gb of RAM. I have done a time machine backup (just in case), and have downloaded carbon copy cloner.

None of the other threads I found mentioned cloning onto a hybrid drive or having a bootcamp partition. Do I need to do anything differently?

Thanks in advance for the help.

OP
L
Reaction score
Yes, I have read that thread, but I don't see anything in regards to a boot camp partition. I have done some more research, and from what I read on Carbon copy, this can not be done. It sounds like I can not clone the boot camp partition.
Does anyone have any experience with that?

Reaction score
You are right, sorry I didn't read through your complete first post.

To my knowledge it is a 2 step process and that may or may not work. Since the boot camp partition is formatted NTFS which OS X can read from (with certain versions of OS X) but it can not format NTFS or write to a NTFS formatted drive.

I'm going from memory here but I think you have to clone your OS X drive to the new one. Then run BC again and create the BC Win partition and reinstall Windows thenn use something like WinClone to clone your current Win install to the new install on the new drive.
But don't hold me to that.

Reaction score
Followup

Hello, I am considering upgrading my 2009 MBP with this:

Newegg.com - Seagate Momentus XT ST750LX003 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache 2.5" SATA 6.0Gb/s Solid State Hybrid Drive -Bare Drive

I saw this thread and wanted to followup with some clarification:

I run 10.7.3 and Windows 7 ENT 64-bit on my existing Seagate 500GB HDD. Windows 7 is terribly slow, though OS X is decently fast. I want to upgrade with the drive above but still have a bootcamp partition such that both OS X AND Windows 7 can access the best of the hybrid drive. Can this be done safely and securely?

I am not concerned about data preservation; I'll make backups and pull what info I need from them during/post reinstall.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
What do you want to know, how to install the drive and/or how to partition it to use Bootcamp?

Reaction score
How to partition it for bootcamping such that each OS has access to the SSD and HDD sides of the drive. If the procedure is the same as a standard HDD, except you choose the SSD as the drive on which to install, then I should be good.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
I would first let OSX use the SSD part and then partition the normal drive for bootcamp and OSX file storage, you need to use Bootcamp assistant to handle partitioning the non SSD part for Windows to work under bootcamp

Reaction score
So I cannot let Windows use a partition of SSD combined with a partition of HHD? It has to all be on the HDD?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.